XXIV: lover, hunter, friend, and enemy

"I swear it on my honor, on my blood, and on the gods."

Note:

Wake up, new chapter is up. ;)

~~~~~

The raucous cheers of celebration drifted through the air were carried by the gentle breeze that danced over the castle walls. Although Pete had been confined to his own chamber, the joyous revelry echoed throughout his surroundings, its cadence reaching his ears.

Pete looked around; he recognized the unmistakable walls of the Palace of Kali. His eyes fixed on the solid, dark stone walls that enclosed him, and the flickering fire of the hearth that cast a warm, comforting glow upon his dimly lit chamber.

Ever so familiar yet forever changed, the chamber now held a stark contrast to the memories it once held.

How could Vegas kill Kinn? Pete's mind circled in that same thought over and over again. The memories resurfaced of King Gun's previous betrayal that had occurred years ago. In hindsight, Pete realized that he should have listened to Kinn's warnings and returned with him when he had the chance. The guilt of his own choices gnawed at him, knowing that he had allowed himself to be deceived by Vegas, and that Kinn's concern had been valid all along.

"You shouldn't have crossed the border."

"You shouldn't have fallen for the King."

Pete had to admit that Tawan was right. Although he could not understand why Fontos had accused him of treason when Tankhun had told him that Kinn had already exiled him. There was something amiss, but Pete believed deep down that this was all his fault. He blamed himself for being selfish and choosing what he wanted over looking out for others. Kinn was killed because he stayed.

Should I surrender myself to Fontos? Pete couldn't believe he was even considering it. He knew that if he left Kali and returned to Fontos, it would mean certain execution. The idea filled him with fear, but he also couldn't shake the feeling that maybe it was the right thing to do.

But I don't want to die.

"Sir," It was a familiar voice, followed by three gentle knocks on his door. Pete raised his head, harshly brushing away the tears from his face and was met with Mira holding a basin and towels by the doorway.

"Let me wash you." she said before closing the door behind her.

The realization dawned upon him, Pete became utterly aware of the grit that clung to his clothes, the dampness of his neck from both sweat and tears, and the dirt that had settled on his skin.

Exhaustion and despair coursed through him, rendering him immobile. The gentle hands of the Beta came to his aid, carefully lifting Pete off the bed and supporting him as he sat up. The young woman's slender frame offered a sense of stability.

Mira gently dipped a towel into the basin filled with warm water and began to meticulously clean Pete's skin, her touch was soothing and gentle. She tenderly wiped away the dirt from Pete's face and neck as Pete continued to weep, the weight of his sadness and grief still heavy upon his heart. The Beta's soft ministrations offered a small measure of comfort in the midst of Pete's profound despair, somehow, he felt like he wasn't alone.

"Was I too easy to fool?" Pete muttered, a tear still fell from his eye as he looked at Mira.

"I love him. Was it my fault?" He choked and Mira stopped drying Pete's arms for a moment to look at the Omega's eyes directly.

"You are not to blame. This was bound to happen." Mira softly answered before she continued her task and started to change Pete's clothes after she cleaned Pete.