XXVI: A King for a King

I just couldn't make it rightAlarms will sound
But it's too late for holy water now

- Anger (Sleeping At Last)

Note: I wrote this while grieving for my father, please expect graphic scenes. 

WARNING: Brutal violence, blood, and heavy emotional turmoil. 

~~~~

Pete was unceremoniously hauled out of the carriage and onto the cold, wet ground. He felt the piercing gazes of the servants and guards surrounding him. The air was thick with anticipation and whispered judgment. They continued dragging Pete's limp body through the storm until the great hall came into view, and the cacophony of voices reached Pete's ears, assaulting him like a solid wall of sound.

As the rain continued to pour, Pete couldn't help but feel the weight of the gaze upon him, the judgment laced in the faces of the assembled crowds. He was led forward, into the castle, along the dark hallways, until they reached the council room. And there, standing before him, was the new King of Fontos.

The room was abuzz with the presence of the other kings from different empires, but all other eyes seemed to blur as Pete's focus zeroed in on the new ruler of the land.

"We meet again, Pete." Pete's eyes widened at the sound of the rugged voice that reverberated through the room. The first thought in his mind was how the man knew him, and the second thought was that there was something eerily familiar about him. Pete tried to place the voice, his mind working feverishly to figure out where he had heard it before.

The man studied Pete with his dark eyes. He had an alpha scent that felt overpowering in the confined space. His hair was dark, but with visible light roots of age. His clothes were velvet, dark green and elegant, and immediately told Pete that he was not someone from Fontos at all.

"I suppose you do not recognize me. You've certainly grown since the last time I saw you." The new King said as he descended the throne. "Back then you were just a scrawny kid,"

His voice was smooth and honeyed, and Pete could not help but wonder if it concealed something dark.

"Look at you now. Slim and beautiful, prettier than my cousins despite being a man," he suddenly laughed as if he was in disbelief, his head tilted slightly to the side as if pointing to something Pete followed, his eyes searching the faces behind the new King until his gaze met a familiar face among the other kings standing by the throne.

Tankhun.

The look of raw shock and disbelief on Tankhun's face was mirrored in Pete's own. As their eyes locked, tears ran down Tankhun's cheeks, and Pete felt a lump form in his throat, struggling to hold back a sob.

"I knew you'd grow up as such a beautiful omega!" the old man exclaimed, dragging Pete's attention back to him.

Pete frowned. "Who are you?"

The man feigned being hurt as he spoke, "You really have forgotten..." he pouted as a comical way of showing pain despite his age.

He crouched his body as he met Pete's gaze. "Ah, you used to follow me around when you were little because you feared the late King Korn. You thought I was the coolest, like a good father you never had. It made me so happy."

Faded, old memories played in Pete's head.

The man's eyes were the same, but his hair used to be darker. Pete had always seen him as tall, but he was even larger now. He was wider too, his muscles filling out his clothes.