XXI: et tu.

and in the middle of my chaos, there was you. 

In the confusion and the aftermath, you are my signal fire.

TW:

Morbid and graphic descriptions of violence. 

You all have read the tags right? You read the tags right?? 

~~~~~~

Vegas had always been a quick and decisive ruler who dealt with disobedience swiftly and without remorse. Things had changed, he was no longer alone. There was another person in his care who took precedence over his own life. The slightest wrong move would mean the death of someone he cared deeply for. It was time to tread carefully, it would be the only way to avoid a mistake he'd likely regret forever.

If this had happened before Pete, Vegas would be fast to behead everyone who questioned his reign. But this was about Pete, and he couldn't believe that even as the King of Kali, he was walking on eggshells. Any wrong move or interaction could cost Pete his life.

"Your Majesty, why not marry the Emperor's son and use Pete as your concubine?"

One of the governors dared to question. Vegas was sitting on his throne, a glass chalice of red wine in his hand. His gaze darted towards the noble who spoke. His dark eyes were unwavering. The light from the lamps flickered in the silence that followed, it felt like the whole palace had held its breath. Everyone moved rigidly, afraid of sudden movements and becoming the target of the King's obvious wrath.

"Say that again." Vegas beckoned.

"Apologies, Your Grace. I have spoken drivel." The governor lowered his head with his apology. The air around him buzzed, an obvious tremble coursed through the noble's body.

"Again." Vegas' voice was low and ominous. He leaned forward, elbows rested over his knees, eyes locked on the governor. The King held him in place with that sharp glare, fear enveloped the entire throne room. The King's dreadful pheromones invaded every space. It felt suffocating and the silence was deafening.

"I am inquiring about the possibility of marrying the emperor's son and keeping Pete as your concubi-"

The governor stopped when a loud crash boomed over his head. Droplets of wine and shards of glass dusted over his head and back.

No one dared to look at the raging King nor even moved to avoid the spatter. They remained still, frozen in terror.

"I will visit the South." Vegas announced as he stood, eyes lifted in surprise.

"Emperor Zeid." Vegas tilted his head in the emperor's direction. Vegas felt as if he was on fire, a living flame. He wanted to strike someone. He would if given the chance. He only needed a small excuse, anyone to twitch too much and there would be a head rolling onto the throne's marbled floor.

"I will visit your land," Vegas pronounced slowly. Disgusted at how the noblemen had planned a rebellion against him but cowered beneath his gaze. "If your action of blocking the river caused imperilment, then your head is mine."

"Your Majesty," the emperor's voice sounded like a plea.

"Why? Am I not being fair?"

"No, Your Grace. It was just." The emperor answered.

"We'll leave at dawn."

All the noblemen in the throne room stood up and bowed their heads. They knew very well what dismissal sounded like, especially from the King of Kali.