Chapter 5:

Chapter 5:

She watched the quiet landscape, illuminated by the moonlight. The chill of the night seemed to creep into her bones, a long sigh left her lips and her breath hitched in the frigid air. Her arms closed around her torso, trying to preserve what little warmth her soft silk pajamas were capable of storing. Everything was still and silent, and though her feet were firmly on the ground, she felt everything moving, a wild tide crashing inside her.

-You know you shouldn't be out at this hour.

Milo's voice pulled her out of that internal turmoil, she had been so focused looking at the moon, waiting for some answers to those questions that never left her mind that she never heard the door opening and the guard steps until the young man placed his cape on her shoulders, the item was warm, tanks to the body heat and the material of the cape, designed to keep the guards warm even during the worst winter nights. She suppressed a shiver.

-I couldn't sleep

Her voice sounded used, hoarse

-Are you still thinking about what happened at lunch?

Sh turned around in order to face him, her eyes burned, her lips were puffy and on her cheeks the trail left by some tears was still visible

-I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I do what is expected of me, but something is corroding me,

creating an itching inside that I'm not able to scratch.

-You really think what happens here is okay?

Milo asked softly, she looked like a wet caged bird, so close but so far from the truth. She looked like any sudden move could make her closer to the other side. Her lips tremble.

-Why wouldn't I? My family had been leaders since this was nothing more than a tribe. If someone knows what is best for the kingdom that's us... right?

Her voice went softer and softer until the last world came out more like a question to herself. Milo just raised his hands saying "whatever you think".

-It is better for you to get back, I don't want you to catch a cold and I need my cape back

The guard pushed her softly, making sure she was back on her bed. And when the girl was finally asleep after seconds of touching her soft blankets. Milo looked at the moon, asking to whoever might listen that that confused and tired girl could be the change they needed.

Things have never been easy to anyone who does not have the last name Cohen, Milo knew it, everyone in the town knew it, every day was a constant battle and basic things such as food and shelter were never assured. When he was old enough to talk he had to work, he asked for food and money on the streets, he worked as an errand boy or anything a little kid could do, when he wa a teen he started working at the construction sites, getting ready before the sun was even out and fillany getting back to bed when the moon was already high on the sky. It was pure luck that when he turned 18 he was able to land a job in the royal guard tropes, his physical strength - Product of having to lift things three times heavier than you - was a surprise to the kings.

When he started working at that huge castle he was able to give some peace to his family, his dad was a hammerman and his mother was a seamstress, both had their muscles sore and atrophied thanks to years of hard work and abuses, their crooked fingers collaborated less and less for their daily tasks. Milo was able to give them a small place so they stopped working under the sun with old tools that took almost three times the normal time. They were able to hire two helpers: they were two tweens that were willing to help as long as they had a roof on top of their heads and the promise of a warm food at the end of the day.

HHe closed the door of the princess room, the weight he troped for a moment while being with her returned to his shoulders, he was reaching the end of a 48 hours shift and his whole body was feeling numb and tense, the legs were barely able to hold his weight, his tights contracted painfully with each step, his right hand was barely there, he could barely feel the sword on that hand, he was never supposed to sheathe it since he was always supposed to be ready to defend the royals and any second could make the difference.

-Why are you here?

Before Milo could process anything his body was already on a fight stance, the edge of his sword was pointing towards a very angry Lorelai.

-Don't do that!

He sighed, forcing his body to relax and lowering the sword, the young housekeep buffed

-I make sure you don't drop dead at least three times a day and this is the way you pay me?

He knew there was no malicious tone on her voice but he was unable to not think about the events of the afternoon, his left hand rested on the top of his head,

-Hey! That was not your fault, Octavia knows it, if it wasn't for Cutler nothing would have happened.

The hands of the girl were on his face, trying to bring him back to reality, the touch was raspy since her hands, just as hims, were full of splinters and calluses. Octavia was the helper of the first chef in the royal kitchen. The girl used to steal small pieces of the food that was for the kings and the court so he could share it with the guards and the cleaning staff but today when she was giving him a piece of swordfish she was accused of traicion.

The princess came to their defense, saying that she gave them that piece herself since she wasn't feeling that hungry anyway and instructed Octavia to share it. It was a lie, but the world of the herress was enough to fight the rage of the kings towards her, and Cutler's accusation was forgotten.

-I don't know what happen to her after that

Milo lowered his head, ashamed of his own cowardice.

-She knew what would happen, and she did it because she knew our punishment would be worst

-How I hate that mother fucker

-Lower your voice! We are lucky that right now he is nothing more than the princess' fiance, but if things go like planned you will be talking about the future king!

-She still has other options!

-Milo, stop with that already! That will never happen, at least not soon, the risk is way to high

He just shook his head, even when Lorelai's doubts were justified the path was clear as day to him, the plans he and the team had were only possible if they had the princess's support, and yes, maybe she was still looking for their family bond, blind to the evil actions that hide behind the throne. But he could see it in her eyes, the doubts were making her eyes more and more turbulent every day, eventually those waves would break the cage.

-You better leave, guards are not allowed to be in this part of the castle for this long.

Lorelai kept her eyes on him and only when she was not able to see him anymore she released the air she was holding, after what happened at lunch any possibility of laws being broken had her on edge. The flames that only a desire of change can ignite were strong on Milo's ice eyes, but what was left on hers were nothing but ashes. It was not like she would turn her back at those who, like herself, fight with their teeth and nails just to hold tight to any promise of a better life. But she was in no position to jeopardize her job as a maiden. It was one of the best paid positions in the whole town.

The job was hard, she lived in the castle, just like the rest of the working personnel, what was left of the dungeon was remodeled and now they had beds with old mattresses and ragged blankets that were nothing more than some threads. They had turns of 48 hours and the food rations were nothing more than a gray mass that was delivered twice a day. The only reason why they were able to make it through the days was because of what was shared thanks to the kitchen staff who stole parts of the royals food.

And on those days when her stomach growled and her fingers felt like giving up the knowledge that thanks to her salary her family no longer had to worry about the taxes that the royals pulled out of nowhere, her mom was a teacher at one of the main schools, her two sisters had part time jobs at a textile factory and yet they were struggling to put food at the table. Her family needed her and she was not going to let them down.