Chapter 21:

Chapter 21:

-Is it just me, or are they scarier than usual today?

Lorelai pressed herself against Octavia as a group of governesses rushed like a wild pack of demons down the hallway, their entire uniform was black, including the veil that covered their hair, the habit fell over their ankles, revealing the stiletto heels on which they moved, the clack clack of their shoes never failed to set her nerves on edge.

-It's not you, I've never seen so many together.

Octavia whispered in her ear as she placed both hands on the maid's waist, making sure she didn't lose her balance.

-We are most likely not the only ones the queen gave orders to. I suggest we start in her room, look for any new traces of the princess.

Milo spoke loudly enough to ensure that several governesses heard his order and once the group of scares were out of sight they continued on their way.

-Get your heavy ass out of there!

Octavia laughed softly as Lorelai tried to pull one of her arms to get her out of the bed on which she had been sprawled dismally.

-Why are you so serious? It's clear that the princess won't be needing it any time soon.

-I don't care about that! If anyone comes in and sees you like this we're going to be in trouble!

-That apron must be too tight, you need to relax once in a while Lori... if you don't calm down a little by the time you're thirty you'll have that pretty face all wrinkled up.

The maid jumped as if struck by lightning, her lips opened and closed several times without managing to utter a word as a pretty reddish color took over her usually pale cheeks. She whipped her head around so hard that a few unruly strands flew out of her headdress and the chevron on her head tipped a little to one side.

-If I loosen up none of us are going to make it to thirty!

The bed stirred as it was freed from the cook's weight, slowly returning to its original shape.

-Alright Lori, it's okay, I'm sorry.

Octavia's thick fingers delicately arranged the chocolate strands that had escaped and, although it would seem that a simple strong grip of her hand could shred the chevron, the stubbly fingertips of those hands adjusted the fabric with gentle movements.

Lorelai remained silent and with her eyes closed as she accepted the touch, her eyelids parted allowing her gaze to meet the dark brown that decorated Octavia's iris, she detailed for a few seconds the pointy nose and the small freckles that adorned it. She allowed her gaze to descend and study those full but parched lips.

-I...

The door opened quieting Lorelai, both of them moved quickly, being aware only until that moment of how close they were. Loreal was trying to catch her breath as Octavia cleared her throat.

-All right, here they are, where's the other one?

-Miriam, to what do we owe your presence?

Milo opened the balcony door and entered the room again.

-I'm glad to see you're not occupied. Her Majesty has asked me to find you.

Milo's blue eyes studied the governess with mistrust. It was clear that the disappearance of the princess was not unknown information to her, and yet the orders he had received directly from Rahena included saying nothing to anyone other than the two young women in the room. Her accusatory undertone seemed to be a trap, as if she was attempting to force him into breaking a Royal order in order to finally expose him.

-It's a good thing we've encountered each other then, there's no need to delay any longer if it's a Royal command.

Miriam's eyes were almost black, and with her hooked nose she resembled a crow, her gaze paused for a few seconds scanning the trio as if searching for something, after a few seconds she seemed to give up her pursuit limiting herself to a loud sigh.

-It seems that two young men with posters on the beach closest to the castle have generated quite a ruckus, they have not attracted too much attention but her majesty wants to forestall any trouble before it happens, she has told me that you are allowed to take any type of measures to ensure that this does not happen again. Do not delay.

The door frame trembled after his exit and the group let out in unison the breath they were all holding.

-Let's not wait for her to return, let's go.

Milo gently pushed both of the girls out of the room, the heavy door closed behind them with a dull clunk.

-Who would be so imbecilic as to protest so close to the castle?

Octavia's short blue hair swung from side to side with each step they took.

-I don't know, but I think I have an idea.

Lorelai rolled her eyes as she let out a snort.

-Why am I not surprised? Of course it would be your assholes!

The young man raised both of his hands and gave her a half-hearted smile, twitching one corner of his mouth and tilting his head to the left as if the general of the royal guard had been replaced by scolded dog.

-I just said I had an idea, don't crucify me yet.

-You're no martyr, Milo Dillon, you're just an irresponsible man leading a flock of crows.

The maid returned her gaze to the hallway, her cheeks on fire. It wasn't fair. They took a quiet walk to the beach, two unfamiliar figures moved in circles while waving signs back and forth.

-Save the seals!

A young man with an ungainly appearance and ragged clothes repeated over and over again.

-The only useless animals are the ones with the cro..... aaaahh!

Before that reddish-haired girl could finish her sentence she was tackled by Milo. The guard managed to quiet her by placing a huge hand on her face, while with his other arm he kept her by the stomach, preventing her from fleeing.

-What do you think you're doing?

Lorelai had heard Milo's commanding voice very few times and as always it managed to paralyze her.

-It was her idea!

The stranger did not hesitate for a second to push his sidekick in front of the fire.

-You're nothing but a coward, Drach, you're a disgrace to your entire race!

-Ugh! Sari! How gross!

Milo energetically wiped his palm on his pants as the red-haired dwarf jumped up and down.

-Why am I not surprised that they are indeed your idiots?

Lorelai ran both of her hands down her neck, she could feel herself tightening up.