Chapter 13:

Chapter 13:

Milo was running as fast as he could trying to keep his precious cargo safe, his heart rate quickened even more as the princess began to convulse again in his arms, even while wrapped in the guard's cloak the girl's body was shaking violently, her pupils were moving rapidly behind her closed eyelids, it seemed her body was in a battle, fighting with unseen forces that sought to tear her apart from within.

Sweat soaked her forehead and her skin paled even more, highlighting the blue veins on her face, tremors spread throughout her body, shaking even the fingers of her hands that clung weakly to the cloth in which she was wrapped. Milo tried to protect her head, pressing the girl's body against his chest, more blood flowed from her lips. How much would she have lost by now? After a few seconds the movement stopped, the body he was carefully carrying vanished again, her hands fell limp on either side.

-We're almost there, hold on a little bit.

He whispered. Every time he closed his eyes the image of the young woman vomiting blood and then passing out haunted him. He was just finishing his watch when he saw her coming out of her chamber and collapsing, he immediately ran to her and wrapped her in his cloak, both to warm her body and to cover her, all he was wearing was a silk robe and half destroyed underwear. He contracted his face, desperately trying to keep balance and move quickly.

Milo stormed determinedly into the room, pushing the heavy door with his back. His voice rang out urgently as he called out to the kings

-Majesties!

He knew perfectly well that he could only be in this area in cases of emergency and that otherwise his head might be on the line.

-Someone better be dead.

The queen snorted, Milo tried to control his voice before saying anything. Being alone in the presence of the royal couple was among his worst nightmares, but where else could he have gone? After closing the door as gently as his leg would allow he turned around. The king's eyes widened to twice their size, the queen put a hand to her mouth, the two pairs of eyes not leaving their daughter's immobile body, drops of blood still dripping from her mouth.

-I really hope not, your highness.

In less than a second they were out of bed. Although the kings still wore their silk pajamas and dragged the marks of sleep on their faces they were quickly awakened. However, their rigid countenances barely hinted at any emotion. Milo's eyes detected a hint of alarm in them, but he also sensed a strange serenity that seemed to suggest that they might have been prepared for something like this.

-Give her to me

The king commanded in a hoarse voice, Milo deposited the young woman in his father's arms trying to hide the misgivings that were creeping through his body at the thought of leaving her alone with them. A pang of fear gripped Milo, who wondered if the kings could bear any responsibility for the princess's condition. He could not understand how a father, even as a king, could remain so unperturbed at the sight of his daughter in such a condition.

-How can I be of service, my queen?

The woman turned to look at him, detailing the young guard for the first time.

-Not a word of this to anyone. Return to your position.

Her voice was icy, and her stoic face seemed immovable. Far from looking like a worried mother, her posture was more like that of a coroner examining the corpse on his table.