Chapter 10

Leafpaw's amber eyes narrowed as she observed the hostile WindClan cats lining up before her. Among them, a bracken-colored apprentice locked eyes with her, drawing back its lips in a snarl. Despite being a medicine cat, Leafpaw's fur prickled with a surge of instinctive aggression. She was supposed to transcend the boundaries of Clan rivalries, but her warrior instincts kicked in, and her claws flexed into the soft moorland grass. If it came down to a fight, that apprentice would quickly discover that Leafpaw possessed formidable warrior skills.

Firestar's silence in response to Tallstar's question prompted the WindClan leader to repeat it, his tone defiant. He challenged Firestar, insinuating that the ThunderClan leader believed WindClan to be weak, like when Brokenstar had driven them out in the past.

Warrior cats from both Clans erupted into yowls and hisses, their hostility evident, making it difficult for Firestar's voice to be heard. It took a moment before he managed to assert himself.

"Tallstar," Firestar began, his voice firm yet tinged with disappointment. "Since the day Graystripe and I found you and brought you to ThunderClan, you have known nothing but friendship from me. Have you forgotten that? I never expected you to accuse me of being like Brokenstar."

Leafpaw noticed a flicker of guilt in Tallstar's eyes, but his voice still held a challenge as he confronted Firestar. He questioned the reason behind ThunderClan's arrival with so many warriors.

Firestar's tone grew harsh as he responded, his patience waning. "Don't be ridiculous, Tallstar. I don't have enough warriors to take on your entire Clan. We have come here to talk, nothing more. WindClan has been stealing prey from ThunderClan territory, and you are well aware that it goes against the warrior code."

Tallstar appeared taken aback, as if he genuinely hadn't known about his warriors' actions. Before he could reply, his deputy, Mudclaw, interjected with a challenge. "Prove it! Show us evidence that WindClan has taken even a whiff of prey!"

Graystripe's body tensed at the accusation. "We saw it with our own eyes! And we found prey remains reeking of WindClan scent."

Mudclaw sneered in disbelief. "That's just an excuse to attack us, if you ask me."

Consumed by anger, Graystripe lunged across the border, his claws outstretched as he bowled over the WindClan deputy. Mudclaw let out a screech, and the two warriors grappled on the short moorland grass.

Tallstar looked down at the battling cats with a mix of disdain, as if he had found maggots in his fresh-kill. Warriors from both sides tensed, ready to spring, their fangs bared and the anticipation of battle glinting in their eyes. Leafpaw's heart raced as she tried to recall the fighting techniques her mentor had taught her.

Mistyheart stepped forward, her voice carrying a fierce hiss. "Stop!"

Graystripe managed to break free from Mudclaw's raking claws and stepped back, panting heavily. Mudclaw scrambled to his paws, his gaze filled with anger.

"Graystripe, I told you we came here to talk, not to fight," Firestar stated firmly stepping up beside his mate as the white she-cat dashed her tail.

The gray warrior's yellow eyes smoldered with frustration. "But did you hear the lies he told?"

"Yes, I heard them. But that doesn't change my orders. Return to our side of the border. Now," Firestar commanded.

Tail twitching with anger, Graystripe reluctantly obeyed. Leafpaw empathized with his conflicting emotions, especially considering his worries about his missing kits. She could also imagine the discomfort Firestar must feel when his best friend openly defied a direct order, right in front of WindClan's eyes. She suppressed a sigh. Was it part of her role as a medicine cat to understand each cat so deeply and desire to sympathize with them all?