Chapter 20

Leafpaw's POV

I halted at the entrance to our camp, and immediately Firestar approached, his green eyes filled with concern.

"Leafpaw, what's wrong?" he meowed. I stared at him, uncertain if I should reveal this to anyone, especially Firestar. This was his mate we were talking about—the one he trusted the most and loved deeply.

"Leafpaw, come on, tell me," He urged gently, placing the tip of his tail on my shoulder.

I lowered my head. "It's Mistyheart," I said as clearly as I could. "She... She... We were heading to WindClan, I don't know why, but she wanted to go. We encountered Mudfur, and... And she killed him. She transformed into a dragon first and killed him. She left me unharmed but told me to run and never look back."

Firestar remained silent for a long while, and I looked at the leader, his ginger fur shimmering in the sunlight. His green eyes were empty.

"Where is she now?" he finally asked.

I pushed tremblingly, "In WindClan. I smelled flames on the wind, Firestar. I think she's going to... No, I think she's going to kill Tallstar."

Firestar shook his head, clawing at the ground beneath his paw. "No, no, I refuse to believe it. My Mistyheart would never do that. Yes, her dragon can be temperamental at times, but even it is trustworthy," he said. I nudged him with my snout. "I'm sorry, Firestar. I truly am," I meowed.

Firestar sank to the ground, his belly against the grass. Sandstorm, my mother, came over and pressed herself against her best friend, Graystripe, too, came over, while my mentor, Cinderpelt, followed suit. "Oh, Firestar," Sandstorm said, licking the orange tom behind his ear, and everyone fell silent. Whispers were exchanged between them, but the camp remained quiet.

After a while, Firestar growled, "Take me to WindClan now."

I straightened up, nodding, and began to run out of the camp with Firestar close behind me.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

When we arrived at WindClan, I hadn't expected to see Starspeckle standing there.

His mother sat before him, bowed head, while Starspeckle licked her fur. Both of them looked up when they heard our approaching paws.

Starspeckle's eyes warmed up with affection, and he nudged his mother, the two of them trotting towards Firestar, who met them halfway. "You're okay," the fiery leader purred, and they intertwined around each other, their colors blending like a painting of flames and ice. 

I smiled and leaned against my mother.

"Say what you will about the Clans, but family love is something you can never get over," Graystripe meowed from the side, his words filled with warmth.

"Indeed," Cinderpelt agreed, smiling as she licked her chest, her lame leg tucked securely at her side.

Tallstar approached the joyful family. "Thank you," he meowed, and I tilted my head. Starspeckle smiled at the WindClan leader. "No thanks needed, Tallstar. Anything for friends," he looked at Mistyheart, "for family."

The large she-cat licked Starspeckle's cheek and then turned to Leafpaw, whose blue eyes held a tinge of sorrow and guilt. "Leafpaw, I..." I didn't let her finish before I ran up to her, pressing my nose into her fur. "No need to apologize, Mistyheart," I said, pulling away with a smile. "I forgave you a long time ago."

She smiled and pressed her nose on my head before turning to her mate and son. "Let's go home," she said.

Both toms smiled. "Yes," Starspeckle meowed, looking at me and smiling. "Let's go home."