𝙾𝚗𝚎

| Tallahassee Florida - 1:30pm |

Omniscient POV:

———————————————————————-

"Joy! Where are you going?" Joy's best friend Hallie questioned once Joy walked out of her house. "The corner sto, you wanna come?" Joy questioned and Hallie nodded before slipping on her slides and following her best friend.

"Mama ain't home?" Hallie questioned while Joy shook her head no. "I don't know wea she is, she's been gone since last night?"

"Did you call her?"

"Yeah, she didn't answer. She always does this though, you know that. She disappears with some man all night and then she pops back up like nothing happened" Joy shrugged.

"Has she thought about rehab?" Hallie mumbled while Joy shook her head no. "My mama likes being a crackhead and a prostitute. I can't talk her out of that shit, she a grown ass woman."

"Yeah but she's ruining her life Joy."

"I know but she doesn't care. All I can do is try to help but she doesn't want my help" Joy shrugged before the girls turned right and the corner store was now in their sight.

"What are you going to do about college?"

"I don't have money for college Hallie. We just graduated, I'm just tryna get through the summer. You know how this neighborhood is, I'd be lucky if I'm even alive to go to college."

"Don't say that" Hallie mugged her best friend, "Joy, you're  eighteen. You can move out and start a new life. What's stopping you?"

"My mom" Joy thought to herself. No matter how many times she wanted to abandon her home and start a fresh new life, she couldn't. Her mom wasn't always the woman she was today but things happen....Now Joy was forced to work, put food on the table for her and her mom AND pay the bills. She didn't know how she was doing it but she was managing.

"Come on" Joy mumbled before the girls walked into the corner store.

Niggas were everywhere per usual. Drug dealers with their girlfriends on their arms, mothers with three and four babies, kids playing in the small isles.

This was a typical day in Tallahassee...well in Ganther, Joy's neighborhood.

"Hey Joy!" The Hispanic man smiled behind the counter, "Hey Jose, got anything new?" She questioned peaking around the counter before he handed her a brand new strawberry Vape.

"That shit good" he assured and she nodded smiling before handing him a $20 bill. "Keep it mamas. Tell ya moms I said hello" he smiled and Joy nodded before putting the new vape into her jacket pocket.

Joy looked around seeing Hallie talking to a tall light skin nigga.

This was one of the things Joy hated about Hallie. She was obsessed with attention, especially from niggas. She didn't care if he was a broke hood Nigga or a rich wealthy Nigga, she just liked the attention.

"Yo Jose, I'm buying whatever she want" the light skin dude said looking at Jose then back at Hallie while she smiled.