Chapter 16

Akane

As Izaya leaves me, I just sit there, my hand covering my lips. My face probably was so red, I would have blended in with the red booth. Damn that Izaya. I put my other hand over my heart. It was beating so fast that I thought it might explode out of my chest. Why? I thought that I was finally free of him. I am so frustrated. With Izaya. With the situation. With myself.

"IIIIZZZZZZAAAAAYYYYAAA!!"

Shizuo's voice made me snap back into reality. I whipped my head around to see that, outside the café by a few meters, Shizuo standing in front of Izaya, the former's hands clenched into fists. Izaya was smirking with a very uninterested look on his eyes. I called a waiter, paid the bill, and rushed out with a hasty 'thank you'.

"Hey, what the hell is going on here!" I yelled, glaring at Izaya. "You ruined my date."

"Well, sorry. I was just talking to Shizu-chan about how he is dating an unreliable cunt," he sneered. My eyes narrowed and was when I swing my fist at him. He jumped back, and I felt Shizuo grab my wrist.

"Just let him go."

"Why? I'm surprised you don't want to rip him apart to shreds," I growled.

"He isn't worth it. Let's just go and try to enjoy our date," he said calmly.

My breathing evened out and my eyes softened. I looked down and nodded.

"I won't ask about what's going on, because I don't want to get mad and create property damage to this place."

I looked up and saw him smile. I walked towards him and buried my face in his shirt. I felt at ease when I was with him, that he was . . . pleasant.

But just pleasant.

I grabbed Shizuo's hand and started walking. We passed by a park. I looked at it, closely. I didn't even realize where we were until it was too late. It was remodeled and maintained well from the last time I saw it, but there was no doubt about it. It was the park.

The park filled with painful memories. The Purple Diamonds bullied me here. Almost everything bad that has happened to me in my early childhood happened here.

I felt Shizuo wrap an arm around me and pull me close to him. I squeezed his hand tightly, but he didn't mind. I never told him of my pain, but he seemed to understand that this place wasn't my favorite place to stay.

"Let's go," he said gently, and I nodded. Best to get out of here as soon as possible. Why did we even go there? We did not even pay attention, since we were so into our conversation.

We made way to Shizuo's place and before we entered, I kissed his cheek. His cheeks turned red faster than you could say "blush." I walked in, but all I could think of wasn't Shizuo. It wasn't the park. It wasn't even my father.

It was Izaya.

I turned around to Shizuo, his cheeks still slightly pink.

"Shi-san, thank you for this day."

"You're welcome."

We both grinned at each other, before I walked into my room. I leaned against my door, and sighed. Images of Izaya and memories of his kiss flooded in my brain. My heart started to pound. I plopped down on my bed and looked up at the ceiling. Why was Izaya so cruel to me? Why would be be this way? I changed out of my outfit, and put on a gray sweatshirt, dark jeans, and purple converse. I kept my wig and contacts in. I start to head out, when I hear Shizuo say something.

"Where are you going?"

"I am going to visit Celty and Shinra," I lied.

"Well, OK, whatever," he said. "Don't get kidnapped or something like that. Be careful, because it is nighttime."