Twist and turns

Keaton

Ricardo and Marla finally returned from town. Thank God. Ricardo's homemade remedy was wearing off. He grabbed some stuff to help me while Marla used other ointments on Dexter.

While they lathered us with ointments for poison ivy, they dropped a bomb on us.

"Wait. Hold up. Sofie doesn't know you're her cousin?" Dexter asked Ricardo.

Yep, that was the atomic bomb dropped in our lap. How would anyone think that's good news?

"No, and Sofie doesn't know. Sofie's mom was my dad's sister. Andre is their brother," Ricardo said.

"Your uncle tortured people," I said.

"Yes, I'm aware my uncle is a sadistic prick." Ricardo rolled his eyes.

"No, you don't understand. Andre set Daría on fire while she was breathing."

"Wait. How do you know about that?" Ricardo gave me a sideways glance.

"Because I was there when Andre did it. It was his punishment when I met his boss while waiting for Joshua."

Ricardo stared at me, speechless. Hell, I made everyone speechless with my announcement. What could they say? The truth hurts.

I snatched the ointment from Ricardo's hands, ran upstairs to my bedroom, and slammed the door shut. I spent three years working for a sadistic prick and doing things that would turn people's stomachs. It was that or suffered a fate worse than death.

You can have the best family in the world and end up in a life you don't want. Shit happens.

******
Ricardo

After hearing the upstairs door slam shut, I glanced at Dexter and Marla. Dexter started for the steps. I stopped him and went after Keaton.

When I reached the closed door, I knocked on it before opening the door. Keaton sat on the bed in his boxer briefs with his head in his hands. I closed the door, walked toward him, and kneeled before him. Keaton lifted his head with tear-streaked cheeks.

My family took a good kid and broke him. Keaton never asked for this life. He got dragged into this mess at the wrong place and time.

"Hey," I said softly.

Keaton furrowed his brows and wiped his eyes while sniffling.

"You didn't deserve to get dragged into this mess. The only mistake you made was trusting the wrong person."

Keaton averted his eyes to the floor. "I don't want to die."

"And you won't."

Keaton's head snapped up.

"Keaton, we met by chance. I didn't know who you were until you removed your hat and told me your name. I could have stopped seeing you after that night. But I didn't because my heart drew wouldn't let me."

"What are you saying?"

I took a deep breath to steady my nerves. "I'm saying that I fell in love with you."

"What?" Keaton's brows knitted in confusion.

"I'm in love with you, Keaton."

"Really?"

I nodded because I didn't trust my voice, and my heart stuttered.

"I'm glad you said something."

"Why's that?"

Keaton swallowed hard. "Because I fell in love with you, too."

My breath caught in my throat as time stood still. Keaton and I gazed at each other in utter silence. It's that moment when you fall without a safety night, praying someone catches you.