On the run

Keaton

I sat in the front seat and stared out the car window as the scenery whizzed past. I can't believe I hooked up with a cop. What the fuck?

"Where are you taking us?" Dexter asked.

To the clink is my guess.

"Somewhere safe," Ricardo answered.

Yeah, sure. A supply truck exploded at the construction site. I doubt we'll be safe. Oh, and our family will blame the explosion on me.

"Can you give us some clue?" Marla asked.

"I would if I could," Ricardo said.

"So, no." Marla sighed.

"Can I call my family?" Dexter asked.

"No," Ricardo said.

"How do you plan on stopping us?" Marla asked.

Richardo pulled off to the side of the road, parked, turned to us, and held his hand out to us. "Phones now."

We glanced at each other.

"It's not a request." Ricardo snapped his fingers and gestured to us.

We dug out our cell phones and slapped them in his hand. Ricardo opened the window and tossed them into the road. Cars sped passed and ran over our phones. We stared at Ricardo in disbelief as he pulled onto the road.

Did this tool just throw our phones into oncoming traffic?

*****
Ricardo

I wasn't expecting a girl to join us when we left. Hell, I wasn't even planning on leaving yet. But Bates changed mine and Brady's plan.

I pulled onto a road and drove until I reached my destination and pulled around back. We exited the car and closed the car doors.

"Why are we at our family's cabin?" Dexter gestured between Keaton and himself.

"Less chance of the bad guys spotting you," I said.

"How are we getting inside, genius? You need keys."

I pulled a set of keys from my pocket and shook them. "Brady made a set when he came here with Dixon."

"Huh?"

I leaned into Dexter. "My partner is dating your cousin."

Dexter stared at me like I had two heads. Keaton rolled his eyes while the girl crossed her arms.

"Get comfy. We'll be here for a while." I unlocked the door and entered the cabin.

*******
Keaton

Marla followed Ricardo inside the cabin while Dexter and I stood outside.

"What's up with you and Inspector Gadget?" Dexter asked.

"Nothing." I shrugged with my hands in my front pockets. "Why?"

"Are you sure? You spent all day arguing. You sounded like you had a lover's quarrel."

I glanced at Dexter and sighed. "Ricardo and I hooked up a few weeks ago."

"What?"

"Ricardo said he worked in construction."

"And you believed him?"

"It's not like we talked much when we got together." I gave Dexter a knowing glance.

"Great. If we get killed, I'm haunting your stupid ass for eternity." Dexter stomped toward the cabin and entered.

I shook my head and followed Dexter.