Ricardo, meet Grammy and Nan

Keaton

I brought Ricardo to meet my grammy and nan since he had already met my nana and grampa. Grammy invited the family to dinner, with Marla joining us.

I didn't get a chance to introduce Ricardo to everyone. Dad interceded and did the honors. I think my dad likes Ricardo more than me.

"So, you're the guy that helped our booboo," Grammy said.

"Yes, ma'am," Ricardo said.

"Good. Keaton needs someone to keep his ass in line."

I looked at the ceiling while the family laughed.

"So, tell us about yourself."

Ricardo glanced around the living room, opened his mouth, and closed it. Dad ripped off the bandage and told the family the truth. Christ.

Ricardo braced himself for the family's wrath. Grammy went radio silent while the family stared at Ricardo.

I finally had enough and stood up. "I know what you're all thinking. Ricardo isn't anything like his family. He hates them as much as we do. I refused to choose between my family and Ricardo. If I have to pick, Ricardo will win hands down. So, don't even think of splitting us up. It's not going to happen."

The family glanced at each other while Grammy cocked her head.

I took tentative steps toward Grammy and kneeled before her. "Ricardo is my heart. Please don't take my heart away from me."

Grammy cupped my face. "No one will separate you from your heart. If you didn't love this boy, you wouldn't have fought for him like you just did. It's the Gray way." Her lips curved into a smile.

I stared at Grammy wide-eyed before launching myself at her. She laughed and hugged me.

Nan stood up and approached Ricardo. "Hi. I'm Mia."

We looked at Ricardo and Nan.

"Hi, Mia. I'm Ricardo," Ricardo said.

"Lakin comes off strong, but she's a good person. Please don't judge her."

"Of course not."

"Good. Welcome to the family." Nan smiled.

Ricardo stood up and hugged Nan. "Thank you."

Grammy smiled at the exchange. If you want to get in good with Grammy, you treat Nan kindly. Most people didn't get that.

*****
Ricardo

I wasn't sure how Keaton's family would react when Grayson told them the truth about me. It's not something you mention during a casual conversation. Oh, hey, my son is dating a member of the sadistic family that terrorized our family. Welcome. Yeah, okay.

Brady didn't fair any better when Dixon's brothers told their families the truth about Brady. They didn't care that Brady was a Fed. They didn't like that he lied about his identity until Matt stepped in.

Keaton explained who Matt was to me. I hadn't met him yet and wasn't sure I wanted to.

But that changed when someone knocked on the front door. Mia answered it, hugged the person, and stepped aside. An older guy with gray hair and blue eyes dressed in jeans, a tee shirt, and a hand cast entered. A petite woman with grayish-brown hair followed him. Mia closed the door as they walked into the living room.

I studied the couple while they greeted the family. Then the couple approached me. I stood up and gulped.

"My dad would have been the one to welcome new people to the family. But he left me the honors," the guy said.