Chaos

Elias

Tori and I arrived at the hospital and rushed inside toward the desk. A lady snapped her head up to us.

I leaned on the counter. "The paramedics brought our boys in."

"Name?"

"Valentine and Patrick Harper."

The woman checked, then led us to the back. We walked through the emergency room and spotted more family next to several curtains.

"You need to wait here until the doctor comes out," the lady told us before leaving.

I ran my hand through my hair and clenched my jaw. Chaos erupted around us, with people racing to the room as they brought more people inside.

"Oh, God," Tori said.

I recognized different family members while their spouses and children waited.

"Get everyone who's not a patient out of here," a doctor ordered.

A few nurses led us to the waiting room and rushed to the back. I stood in the waiting room with Tori while the family asked questions. The sliding doors opened with more people entering.

"Elias!" Mom yelled.

I walked toward her and the family.

"What's going on?"

"I spoke to Kevin. They brought in Decker, Kenzie, Val, and Pat. The bakery had exploded."

Mom's eyes widened as she gasped. "What?"

"Wait. What?" Aunt Luna asked.

Before I could answer, Nana glanced around the room. "Oh, God."

Tori wrapped her arms around me while Nana, Aunt Larkin, Lakin, Luna, and Uncle Lex noticed the family in the waiting room. Uncle Maverick, Uncle Major, Aunt Mia, and Aunt Piper saw the same thing.

"Lex, where are the boys?" Aunt Piper's question got everyone's attention.

Then all hell broke loose when the quints couldn't reach their kids. Kain and Erin rushed inside, looking for Kaxon.

"Where's Kaxon, Lex?" Kain asked.

"Kaxon was with the others," Larissa said.

"What do you mean?" Lakin asked.

"Matt had Kaxon switch places with me when he and the cousins took care of an issue," Larissa said.

"What issue?" Aunt Larkin said.

Larissa filled everyone in on Dad's plan with the cousins. My nana and aunts lost their coloring. Something tells me they have an idea of what happened.

I led Tori to a few empty seats and sat down. I leaned forward and scrubbed my face in frustration. The secrets killed me. Why couldn't anyone tell us the truth? They put our kids in danger and risked their lives. It doesn't help Nate and Dad are unaccounted for.

*****
Tori

My knee bounced while I ran my hands through my hair. The sliding doors opened as Mom and Dad entered and rushed toward us. I jumped to my feet and rushed into their arms.

"Where's Gabriel?" Mom asked.

"We don't know." I shook my head. "We haven't heard anything about Matt, Nate, Romeo, Rafe, or Marty. We don't even know about Ryden or Deacon's boys."

Mom turned to Dad. "Greg..."

"Sydney, we need to stay calm until we speak to the doctor. No news is good news."