Confronting the past

Ricardo

I drove to Miller Road, pulled up in front, and exited the car. I looked at my living nightmare. The same one that haunted me for years until I escaped it. My phone rang with Brady's name flashing across the screen. I didn't answer it but sent a text message before shutting off my phone.

I shoved my sidearm in the back of my waistband and tugged my shirt over it before walking toward the house. I haven't seen this place in eight years. It wasn't the glorious site it had beheld while growing up. It happens when the owners die, and no one takes care of it. Oh, well, not my problem.

My shoes hit the steps with the sole scuffing across the cement until I reached the front door. I moved to the side, drew my gun, and held it downward when I pushed the door open slowly. From there, I entered the house quietly, creeping through it.

"Malik! I'm here!" I yelled.

No answer.

"I did what you said! Let Keaton go!"

Malik chuckled. "You were always the dumb one, weren't you?"

I moved around rooms until I spotted Malik with Keaton tied to a chair and a gag in his mouth. I leaned against the wall out of Malik's vision. "You wanted me here. I'm here. Now, let Keaton go."

"And why would I do that?"

"Keaton has nothing to do with us. It's between you and me."

"Oh, brother. You don't know me well, do you?"

"Not really. Maybe you should enlighten me."

"Why? You were the golden boy—Daddy's perfect angel. I was the opposite—nothing but a speck of dirt. Even though I was the better son, that wasn't good enough for dear old Dad. Just because I wasn't a true Santiago."

The Santiagos are dead. There's no more empire to run."

"You're lying!"

"I wouldn't lie about this. The Jones family ended it for good."

"Then I'll create a new and improved version."

"You won't last. You'll meet the same fate as our family did."

"It doesn't matter. I have plans."

"Where did Chase fit into your plans?"

"That sniveling little shit refused to tell me your whereabouts. He ruined everything. So, I killed him."

I closed my eyes and squeezed them shut. Chase protected me and lost his life because of it. All for what? So, my half-brother could prove himself?

"Ricky, I'm waiting. And I'm not known for having patience."

I needed to stall until Brady got here with backup. I promised to deliver Chase's killer to Ace.

********
Keaton

What was Ricardo doing? I have a nut job holding me hostage while he relives the past. While the psycho talked to Ricardo, I dislocated my thumbs and worked my hands from the restraints. The tool had his back turned to me while I freed my hands, then untied my ankles.

I waited a few minutes before climbing onto the chair, grabbing an exposed pipe, and swinging my body. Malik turned his head, and my foot met his face. He flew backward with the gun flying from his hand. I jumped, landed on the floor, and scrambled to the doorway. Once I reached it, a hand grabbed me and pulled me to them.

I stood beside Ricardo. "Thanks for taking your sweet ass time."

"I wasn't planning a rescue mission today. Who told you to get kidnapped?"