chapter six

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

chapter six
IN THE LIMELIGHT

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

━━━━

"I told you it would happen, I just told you!" Philo squeals. He sits in one of the barstools of the rented condominium, his short legs dangling and kicking at the height. The deep violet of his skin has faded to a calmer lavender, and his wig is a gleaming silver like a star. Along the island is a plate of various cheeses, grapes, and cured meats, as well as a half-filled champagne glass. He pops one of the grapes into his mouth, speech garbled. "Didn't I tell her?"

Tatiana beams in agreement, side-glancing the giddy Escort. She then returns her focus to Sage, adding the finishing touches to her dark locks. The Victor grimaces when the woman digs a bobby-pin into the flesh of her skull. "You certainly did."

"It's just so exciting, isn't it Sage?" She peers at her Escort through the mirror, pink lips parted to respond. His raspy voice interrupts before she can. "It's like a fairytale! And he's your prince! Your Prince Charming."

"Very romantic," Tatiana quips, another bobby pin poking at her.

"Well, it might be a bit early to tell that, Philo." Sage lifts her fingers toward her mouth, but immediately regrets it, noting her Stylist's pointed glare in the reflection. She drops it back down to the arm of her chair, drumming her manicured nails anxiously instead. "It's just a first date. Don't call for the Wedding Bells yet, please."

The two don't seem to listen to a word she says. Perhaps they hear her, but they certainly don't understand her. Sage doesn't know why she bothers trying. Philo tosses a piece of cheese into his mouth, then takes a swig of champagne, still kicking his legs like a giddy school girl. A satisfied sigh expels from his lips as he points. "Now imagine if Augustus comes knocking at your door next! You're Panem's most desirable woman right now. How sensational!"

"I don't think Augustus would come knocking at my door. Despite what the tabloids say."

"ARRIVING WITH THE FAVORITE SON—LEAVING WITH A LEGACY!"

The press didn't even wait until the sun rose this morning to print their next headline. Someone snuck a picture of Sage walking into the party on Augustus's arm last night, his charming smile perfectly polished. In fact, it was so shiny and pristine that it completely distracted viewers from the shadows in his predatory gaze. Sage looked bored as ever, but Philo insisted she appeared mysterious. In the next image, someone lurking in some bushes must've caught a snapshot of Ptolemus and Sage leaving the maze. Despite the fact they were no longer holding hands, there was something warm between them.

Which makes it feel even more violating. Another moment she hoped would be intimate and between them, is exploited to the entire country. Now her name remains in others' conversations even though with the next Games coming up, they should be anticipating the next shiny toy. She was hoping to be forgotten by now.

Not to mention, she can practically hear her brothers' disgruntled critiques.

Her fingers clench the arms of her chair as she shifts her focus back to a distaste for Augustus. "I'm definitely not complaining, either. He can stay far—" Sage pauses when Tatiana whips out the hairspray, shaking the can almost violently as she hovers a hand over the Victor's nose and mouth. She barely squeezes her eyes shut in time, that artificial stench still burning her nostrils. A cough tickles at her throat, and she straightens in the chair. "—Away. He's an ass."