6

As I walked out of the store, I felt surprised to see Francis walking in my direction. "HEY! THERE YOU ARE!" He cheered. He did a goofy jog toward me, making me laugh. "What are you doing here?" I asked more aggressively than intended. "Alfred and Matthew did not want me to come to find you, but I really wanted to talk to you again! Alone..."

"Alone...but why?" I asked. As I did, he touched his knees to catch his breath. "God...I am...really out of shape for my age..." he huffed. It made me laugh a little as he looked miserable. Weren't French people supposed to be fit? I mean, he seemed a bit thin. I suppose that might be because he has been on the run for the past month.

"What do you want?"

"I wanted...to say sorry...I understand why you are mad at me, and I had no idea what to do at the time! I know what I did was wrong! Will you..." he finally looked up at me, and I felt a little baffled...like he could read my mind.

However, he couldn't read minds...so maybe he actually used his brain and figured it out.

"Will you forgive me? I promise! I don't do that kind of stuff to people! Well, except toward those bastards following me! But I promise! I would never do that again! I wouldn't! I really...just need help...but I don't want to feel this strain between us," he spoke. I lifted a brow as he looked at me and I honestly wanted to laugh.

"Can you read minds too?" I asked, laughing. His expression was priceless! He looked like he actually cared! He had come to me suddenly, and I was once again blindsided. I didn't mean to be, but it was hard keeping up with everything." Hey! What's so funny?! And no! I can't read minds! I just....figured that I could own up to my mistake..." he spoke. With perfect timing? It was amazing that he couldn't.

His face turned red as he stared at me, and I shook my head. This apology seemed genuine, but it didn't change how I felt about everything. "Thank you for the apology! Honestly, it was nice! But I don't think I can trust you!"

"Huh? Why say that with a smile?!"

"Well, it's true! An apology like that was fine...but you messed with our heads...that's a personal thing that people have. Alfred and Matthew may have been okay with it, but I'm not. I don't like people messing with me, and just because you apologize for it, it won't make me feel any better! I don't trust you! End of story!" I spoke. I admit that I sounded angry and hurt.

I was hurt.

I didn't know him, and it made it worse.

"I get that...and I will try every day from here on out to gain your trust again! I won't give up!"

"Oh? Is that so? I think you will give up, actually," I smiled. His face was still flustered, but he tried his best to hide it. Honestly, he shouldn't care what I think. We should be fine if he doesn't do it again. Eventually, I might come around, but not anytime soon.

"Yes! You will be my friend!"

"Pfft!"

I began to walk past him, and he followed beside me. Francis seems like the type of person who has to prove himself to others continually. I mean, I don't know much about him, and what he was doing in that lab that night, but if I were to get closer and find out, it would help me make my judgment.

"I'm serious! I am sorry!"

"I understand that, but I still don't know you, so I can't exactly take your word...not yet, at least," I spoke. He stayed silent as we walked together. "I understand," he whispered.

"What do you plan to do once you find out who those men are?" I asked. He turned to me, shrugging. "I'm not really sure. I figured I could use my luck to make them forget, but I can only do so much before it disappears. Maybe talk to them? I'm not sure," he spoke.

Jesus, those men probably wanted to experiment on him, and his solution was to talk to them. He really was an idiot!

I couldn't help but look at him with pity, and he noticed. "Don't give me that look! At least I'm trying to figure it out! You want to get rid of me so badly, yet haven't put in the effort; it makes me think you secretly like me!" He teased.

"Pfft! I only deal with your presence; this isn't exactly how I picture my first days off after a long time!"

"As if you are any better? You have been mean to me this whole time! You punched me twice!"

"I have a reason! It was well deserved! However, you have no reason to be this persistent! You don't know me! You are some random man who kissed me! Then, you decided to wedge your way into my life. So, forgive me if I don't feel like being around you!"

"Look, I know what I did was wrong, but I'm alone! And you were the only person I knew!"

"Yeah, well, maybe you need to really think about how your actions affect people! I don't think you realize how messed up I feel! I feel violated!" I spat. I glared at him and began walking faster. "And I'm sorry! Please... give me a second chance! I'm not a bad person! I'm scared!"

Francis placed his hand on my shoulder, stopping me. "Why should I give you a second chance? All you've done is caused me trouble!"

"You are valid for wanting me out of your life, but I don't want to be alone! Please! I'm asking for a second chance! That's all! And if you truly dislike me in the end, I will leave! Just give me two weeks to figure all of this out! Give me a chance!" He begged.

I stared at him keenly, actually considering it. I mean, I suppose this is perfect. I give him time to figure himself out, get out of my life, and prove he is trustworthy. If not, I'll call those people and even personally help them.

It was perfect, honestly.

I smiled at him, nodding. "You have a week and a half! Get yourself together, and leave. And, well, if we become friends...so be it, but I doubt you could change my mind on anything," I said. He looked scared but also relived hearing what I said. "You mean it?"

"Yes...and I'm sure Matthew and Alfred won't let you leave, so I'm sure we will live together for a bit."

"Yes, they told me I could stay with all of you..."

"Yes! But you can't sleep with me anymore!" I rolled my eyes. I began walking away, and he actually looked shocked. "What? Why not?" He asked. He jogged to catch up with me, walking at my pace once he did.

"Do I really need to explain that? You aren't staying in my bed or my room!" I demanded. He looked heartbroken but accepted it. "Fine, I'll sleep in the living room..." he groaned. Seriously? He actually wanted to stay in my room?

I can't tell if he didn't care or was truly an idiot.