18

"ARTHUR! FRANCIS! MATTHEW! You won't believe what I found at the market this evening!" Alfred came into the apartment excited. It was tea time already, and I had been sitting by the open window, enjoying the paper. Since Francis came around, there were many adverts for dog grooming places. Somehow, our paper was always overflowed with coupons for free grooming services.

Lucky me.

"What is it?" Matthew asked. Alfred placed his bag on the table and looked at us, excited. "Well, I figured we could use some luck besides Francis, so I got us charms! Francis doesn't get one because it wouldn't work!"

"Oh, be nice!" Matthew laughed.

"Anyway! For you, dear brother! A rabbit's foot!" He cheered. I wouldn't lie and say I wasn't a little sickened by the mutilated rabbit's foot attached to a keychain because I was. I was horrified, and so was Matthew, but he wouldn't say that to Alfred. "I got myself a four-leafed clover in a jar!" He cheered.

Francis could have just made some behind him like the other day. The thought was silly. "And for ARTHUR! A horseshoe!" Alfred cheered. My eyes widened seeing him pull out a twelve-centimetre horseshoe. "Where did you get these—"

"No need to thank me! I got you the biggest one since you need more luck! Besides, you like stuff like this!" He cheered. My face dropped, and I looked at Francis, horrified. I mean, I did. I believed in these things! But...

I didn't want Francis to know I really liked the idea of these things. It was silly to believe in superstitions, but I did.

"You really do? You like this stuff?"

"Well...yeah, it's...it's nice," I laughed. Alfred handed me the horseshoe, and I smiled nervously. Francis looked embarrassed, and he tried hiding his smile. "I can't do it; this is hard," he spoke.

I lifted a brow, confused, and if on time, I was knocked onto the ground. I dropped my newspaper and my tea as an object flew through the window, hitting me in the head.

"OH WOW! A horseshoe! THEY SAY THEY ARE GOOD LUCK!" Alfred cheered. He began laughing as I nodded. "Yes, I know—" I groaned.

Another came.

"Arthur! Oh my god! I'm so sorry; I don't know how that—"

"Oomph!"

Francis had tried to rescue me and help me off the ground, but as he did, another came flying through the window, knocking me down to my feet.

Where the hell are these coming from?!

"Aren't these supposed to be good luck?" I asked, perplexed. Another flew through the window, hitting me down before I could think of getting up. "I....yes..." Francis spoke. He grabbed my arms, helping me up, and I made my way to the window. "Honestly, where are these coming from?" I asked. I looked out the window and felt so annoyed.

"Of course, there's a....what does that say?... a "horseshoe festival"? Outside our window? What the bloody hell?" I spoke. The three of them came beside me, looking out the window too. Alfred and Matthew began laughing, while Francis looked like he felt bad. I was about to close the window when another flew through the window, knocking me down again.

Alfred only laughed, closing the window.

"Why is it that nothing ever happens to them?" I asked. Francis laughed nervously, and Alfred looked at me hurt. "You want me to be hit over the head? And hurt my brain?"

"Your brain is already questionable; I doubt it would do much," I laughed. I began walking toward Orange to take the little puppy on a walk. Orange wasn't a puppy but was in my eyes.