22

Mr Christian helped lift me up and I stabled myself on the stairs. "Are you fine?" I darted towards Mr Christian and seeing his face laced with worries for me made my anxious self sort of subside. I nodded and found his large hands rush towards my belly. "Don't worry the baby is fine too." I repiled and he nodded before he turned around and looked downwards. I followed his gaze and both my hands went to my mouth.

I couldn't believe what I saw. There was a transparent slippery substance. I couldn't tell what it was and Mr Christian suddenly lowered his body and slipped his finger on the slippery substance. He felt it between his fingers and sniffed it. His face hardened as he suddenly screamed out for the maids. I had to take a few steps upwards on the stairs as I stared at the slippery substance that almost injured me and put my baby's life in danger.

The six maids present in the kitchen all rushed towards where we were and bowed slightly when their eyes met with Mr Christian. I looked at Mr Christian who looked furious and ready to explode at any moment. I heard running footsteps and saw Matilda rushing towards us and she gasped seeing the slippery substance on the stairs. Her eyes darted to me immediately and she raced towards the stairs while she avoided stepping on the slippery substance.

She came to hold me tightly. "What...what happened. Are you fine? I hope you didn't step on that?" She asked looking and glancing around my body for any bruises. My heart leaped for how caring she was despite me not talking to her. Her love and affection was still there and my eyes was beginning to well up with upcoming tears but my mind got interrupted by Mr Christian's yelling in his deep voice.

"What the fuck happened here? How is there grease on the stairs?" The maids looked at each other for explanations but didn't know what happened according to their expressions. I also didn't suspect them of doing such a thing but the thought of it also being a mistake crossed my mind as well. The maids all shooked their heads in denial of involvement.

"What the hell! Somebody poured grease on the stairs and you're all telling me it isn't any of you?" Mr Christian kept yelling which even attracted Helena. My eyes widened seeing her standing and walking perfectly on her own two feet. "What happened Chris?" Helena asked fixing her eyes on me and for a split second I caught her give at one second look at my belly. That alone jolted up my body up as both my hands went straight to my belly in fear. Could she? My mind was playing this scenerios and in doubt about Helena being the one.

"Not now Helena, am in the middle of something!" Mr Christian spoke and he was obviously rude in his voice and didn't care at all. She did seem hurt but shrugged it off. One thing I sure was good at was studying people's expressions clearly. At first I didn't have the gift but thanks to my evil stepmother who reminded me that looks can be deceiving and from then on, I began to develop this skill of catching people's expressions and Helena was giving off a bad vibe right now especially how she stared at my belly a few seconds ago.

"But sir it can't be us. We don't deal with grease and lubricants. The security team handles that sir." One of the maids repiled while her body shooked in fear lowering her gaze in front of Mr Christian. "Then I think you should send for the security team then." Helena suggested and Mr Christian yelled out for Lucas. Lucas rushed into the mansion.

"I want you to gather all the security team here right now!" Mr Christian ordered and in less than three minutes about twenty young strong built men were lined up in front of us. "Tell me! Who was handling the grease and spilled it on the stairs. I believe this was done intentionally as this has never happened before." The security team all denied ever touching or making use of the grease throughout the day and this was beginning to turn into a full fledged mystery.

I was tired and Matilda accompanied me to my room but was only allowed to after the doctor rushed to check up on me in the middle of the night on Mr Christian's first order. I tried refusing saying I was fine but he wasn't going to listen and as always he had his way saying he couldn't compromise on our baby's as well as my health. I was shocked when he called the doctor and threatened him to rush down to the house.