Chapter 14. Punishment

No. no, no, no, no, no, this can't be happening. And there's so much happening. I can hear Mother screaming at Father to do something, and I can hear Eudora telling Soarynn over and over again, "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," I can also hear Soarynn's Prep Team in absolute hysterics. She doesn't say a word. She's in shock. Jessup and the rest of Twelve are too apparently, as people begin to whisper in the Mayor's ear. I can't imagine he ever thought his daughter would be in the Games after we took her. 

The screen goes black and that's when I hear the sound of Peacekeeper boots marching into the booth. They stop behind Soarynn who hasn't looked up from her lap, tears running down her face. "Miss, you're going to have to come with us," one of them says, as two more circle around the couch. It's when they yank her off the couch, that all hell breaks loose. I see my Mother falling to the ground screaming, "CRASSUS DO SOMETHING!" As he stares vacantly at her. 

I see Eudora trying to rip the Peacekeeper's grip from Soarynn's arm, while scolding them, "In all my years, I have NEVER seen this type of behavior, unhand her IMMEDIATELY!" As tiny as Eudora might be, her voice makes up for it. "We're on strict orders to bring her into our custody until the other Tributes arrive, ma'am," one of the Peacekeepers says. It's like he's reading from a script, I think to myself watching all of this unfold. And my Father loves a good script. I have no doubt in my mind that he arranged this, to punish me, to hurt me.

 They begin to march her around the couch when she finally looks my way, there's hurt and betrayal written all over her face. How could you do this? She seems to be asking me with her eyes. You were supposed to protect me, why aren't you protecting me? I snap out of my daze and rush forward. I had no qualms about beating the ever-loving shit out of Titus, and I certainly don't care about some faceless Peacekeepers. They've made it out the door where there's a crowd looking to see what's going on.

 "STOP!" I yell running out after them, they halt, turning around, letting me see her face still in tears. "There must be some misunderstanding, my Father can explain," I say gesturing back into the room. "Sir, we have to follow the protocol," one replies. Fuck protocol. Before I can open my mouth to tell him to count his fucking days, I feel a hand grab my shoulder. I turn to see my Father, stone-faced, "I gave the orders Coriolanus," he says looking at Soarynn. I look at him, horrified, never in my life did I think he would do something so low. 

"You, what?" I hissed in his face, finally looking back at Soarynn. But she's not looking at me. She's looking at Father. And there's hatred in her eyes. My Mother, finally collecting herself off the floor with the help of the Prep Team and Eudora, comes hobbling out, "Don't worry sweetheart, we'll take care of you in there!" She says before blowing her nose. "Just find a safe place to hide and we'll do the rest, won't we Crassus?" She says looking over at him. His eyes still on Soarynn, he nods, "Of course we will, we'll have you home in no time," he says." I'm going to fucking kill him.

 Soarynn gives Mother a tearful nod, trying to be brave. She then looks over at me and I can't help it, I rush over to her, ripping her out of the arms of the Peacekeepers, holding her tighter than I ever have before. She wraps her arms around me as she whispers, "Don't let me die in there Coryo, promise me," she says looking up at me, her blue-gray eyes glassy. I nod, of course, I'll try to help her, "Of course, I'm gonna do everything I can to see you again," I say holding her face in my hands. Nodding, she seems content. "Okay," she whispers pulling away. I don't want to lose her.

 Not knowing if it'll be the last time, I pull her back in, planting one last kiss on her soft lips. I don't care who's watching. They can't hurt me if the only thing I care about is in the arena. The Peacekeepers, seemingly having had enough, pulled her back out of my arms. I watch as they walk her into the back of an armored van and drive away. No one knows what to say. Mother is silently sobbing, the Prep Team is in shambles. Eudora is shaking her head, muttering, "This wasn't in my plans," over and over again. It appears that the odds were not in our favor this time.