CHAPTER 17

I awoke from my sleep when Zoe stood up from the bed and quietly slipped into the bathroom

I awoke from my sleep when Zoe stood up from the bed and quietly slipped into the bathroom. Being a light sleeper, the faint rustle of sheets and the soft creak of the floorboards were enough to pull me from my slumber.

I lay still for a moment, hoping to drift back to sleep, but my throat felt parched. I reached for the water canister on the bedside table only to find it empty. Sighing, I resigned myself to getting up and going downstairs for a refill.

The house was eerily silent as I descended the stairs. I made my way to the kitchen, the cold tiles chilling my feet. After drinking my fill of water, I filled a bottle for Zoe and started to head back upstairs.

As I reached the foot of the stairs, I heard muffled noises coming from somewhere deeper in the house. My heart pounded. A thief?

How could that be possible with so many guards posted outside? Clutching the water bottle tightly, I cautiously followed the sounds. They grew louder as I ventured into an unfamiliar wing of the house, a part I rarely visited.

I reached a large, imposing door that was slightly ajar. Though I knew it might be a mistake, curiosity and concern got the better of me. I took a step forward and gently pushed the door open.

The sight before me made the water bottle slip from my grasp and hit the floor with a thud, spilling its contents. The room was dimly lit, but I could make out several men. All eyes turned to me, except for one man who was facing Alan.

Alan was slumped in a chair, his face battered and bruised. He looked half-dead. This couldn't be happening. My heart sank as the weight of the situation crashed down on me. This was all because of me, because I had tried to run away.

Swallowing hard, I approached them, my steps tentative and shaky. I stopped a couple of steps away from Alan, and from this distance, I could clearly see the man with his back to me.

Recognition hit me like a wave, but I had to focus on Alan for now. I rushed to him and cupped his face gently. He winced, hissing in pain.

"I'm sorry" I said, my voice trembling as tears streamed down my face. Alan just shook his head in response, his eyes filled with a mix of pain and understanding.

"Water?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper. He nodded weakly. I quickly bent down, picked up the fallen bottle, and helped him drink. As he sipped the water, I could feel someone glaring at me, but I didn't dare look up to engage.

"Do you need more?" I asked. Alan shook his head slightly. Nodding, I started unwrapping the ropes binding his wrists.

Just then, Alexander grabbed my hand to stop me, but I shook him off and continued. Anger and desperation fueled my actions.

Once more, Alexander grabbed my hand, but this time he pulled me onto his lap, his grip tightening around me possessively. I struggled for a moment before giving in to his hold, my eyes locked on Alan.