THE HEARTWRENCHER

NO

NO. XIV

be•tray•al
the action of betraying one's country, a group, or a person; treachery.

-

"WHAT ARE you saying?" I ask again my voice cracking over and over again.

He looks down to the ground with his hands connected to his waist.

I look to Miles with my mouth open still in disbelief as he gives me a sorrowful and confused look.

"Wh-why? Why didn't I know about this? Why didn't I know you were my..dad?"

The words taste like poison in my mouth knowing this man was my father.

"I told your guardians to keep the truth from you as long as possible, they also agreed on the idea of you not knowing so it would keep you safe."

"No." I say in denial. "My parents" I say as I correct him.

A feeling of tears form in my eyes as the truth continues to sink deeper into my mind, the words repeat in my head..

"You've been lied to"

Over and over again.

"What else are you being lied to about"

A vicious cycle of words repeat in my mind.

"Keep me safe?!" I say in an aggravated but upset tone.

"From what?" I ask him searching for a desperate answer.

He looks up at me with an upset facial expression.

"From me finding the truth? Because you did a wonderful job at that didn't you?"

He looks at me with nothing to say.

No one said anything.

Until he spoke again to both Miles and I.

"If you break enough canon, you save enough captains, and we could lose everything."

He says looking at Miles before looking back at me.

"My dad is about to be captain."

Miles states.

He then goes into a state of pain grabbing his head shoving his eyes closed before they suddenly open, before I had time to even process what happened.