Chapter 30

Clay's P.O.V.

I walked in my house to find Ashley sitting on the couch. "Why are you still here?" I snapped at her. She looked at me with sadness in her eyes. She got up and came over to me. "Why can't you forgive me Clay?" I sighed. "Ashley, I'm not doing this. Not today." She sighed and folded her arms. "Then when are we, Clay?" "I don't know." I answered annoyed and walked up to my bedroom. I was sitting on my bed lost in thought when the doorbell rang. Startled I jumped up to answer it. I ran down the stairs and to the front door and swung it open. Jim stood in the door looking tired. "Hey man." I greeted him. "Hey." He answered before coming in. He looked at Ashley sitting on the couch and just shook his head sighing. "Is there somewhere we can go so we can talk?" I nodded before opening the back door and stepping out on to the deck. He followed me and sat in one of the chairs. I sat down beside him. "How is she Jim?" I asked before he had a chance to say anything. "Hurt." Was all he replied. I looked down at the ground. I've hurt her. I've hurt my Elana. A single tear slipped down my cheek. "Clay...Elana's at my house. She's a wreck man. She doesn't know what to do or think." Jim told me after a few minutes. I looked over at him. "Do you want me to go talk to her? I can go over there and.." Jim cut me off. "I want you to do the exact opposite." He answered with saddened eyes. My eyes dropped. "Clay. She needs time. So much has changed for her these last few months. She needs to be able to think. And she can't do that with you constantly trying to make everything better and explain all this." I looked at him shocked. "I know you love her. She knows you do too. But it's a lot to take in. You're married Clay, and that's not just something she can pretend isn't a fact." I just nodded. "You know she told me to stay with Ashley." I told him in disbelief. He nodded. "She wants you to be happy Clay. You ought to know by now she would do anything to make you happy. And if that requires her to give you up, then she'd do it." I shook my head. "Jim this is hard." He nodded. "I know it is."