Chapter 48

I woke up and shot straight up. I looked at Clay who was still out. I looked wide eyed around the room. "El are you okay?" Adam asked in a worried tone. I breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank the Lord it was all a dream." Jim looked at me confused. "I had a horrible dream where Ashley was pregnant." I explained. Jim nodded. "Well as far as I know she is not." I nodded and smiled. I looked back to Clay. "Has he woken up yet?" I asked not looking away from him. Jim sighed. "No. Not yet." I rubbed my hand around his. He squeezed my hand. I gasped. "He squeezed my hand!" I exclaimed. Clay groaned. "Could you stop yelling please?" I laughed and started crying. "For you Clay anything." His eyes fluttered open and lit up when he saw me. "You're awake." I said through my tears. He smiled. "I'm awake." I moved so I was standing above him. I lent down and kissed him. "I love you Clay Williams. Dont you scare me like that again." I ordered. He smirked. "Yes ma'am." I heard a cough behind me. "Can I examine my patient please ma'am?" The doctor asked amused. I moved back. "Of course." The doctor stepped forward and did a quick Neuro exam and checked his vitals. "How is he?" I asked. The doctor looked up from writing on Clay's chart. "He's doing well. Looks like he will be having surgery this afternoon. You will be being operated on at 1 o'clock Mr. Williams." Clay nodded. I started to worry. "What exactly will you be doing?" "Through a midline incision we will examine the liver and gallbladder. Because his is a large laceration, I will not suture it. We will pack the laceration with a long gauze roll soaked in warm saline. I will then go in 48 hours later and remove the liver pack. For that we will have him under general anaesthesia where I will perform another laparoctomy." The doctor explained then walked out again. I took a deep breath joining my hand with his again. He squeezed it. "Baby I'll be fine. I won't die on you. I can't just not live after you choose me." My eyes widened. "You heard me?" I asked. He nodded. "I did." He answered and shot me that cheesy grin. I brought his hand up to my face and rested my cheek in it. I heard an awh behind me. I sighed, and turned to face Margret who was smiling. "Way to ruin the moment Mar." I joked sarcastically. She grinned while everybody else laughed. "Do you remember what happened?" Adam asked Clay. Clay took a deep breath trying to think. "I um..I think I was driving home and then something happened. I don't know if I was distracted or if I was just not paying attention or what, but all I remember is swerving and then driving off the road...I don't remember anything that happened after that." "Ashley said you swerved your car extremely to the right and wrapped it around a light pole..she called me." Jim threw in which earned a nod from Clay. "I also have one  more question that is linked to a really bad horrible dream, but I have to rule it out..is Ashley pregnant?" I asked. Clay looked at me confused then a hint of amusement touched his eyes. "Not that I know of. God I hope not." I heard him mumble under his breath. "Is there any chance she might be?" Margret asked. I dropped my head. I really didn't want to know the answer to that question. Clay put his other hand up to my cheek and cupped it. I lent into it. "It happened one time, I was drunk and upset about you. And this happened like a month ago." I nodded. Good. I swear if this woman is pregnant I'll lose my mind. "Why don't we go grab some breakfast?" Jim suggested. I nodded. "Will you be okay if I go grab a quick breakfast?" I asked Clay making sure. He nodded. "I'll be fine babe." I smiled at him calling me babe. "I'll be quick. I promise." Clay nodded. I walked out of the room with Margret and Jim, Adam was staying with Clay. "Has anyone heard from or seen Ashley?" I asked walking down to the cafeteria. "I haven't. She came to the hospital with him when he first had the wreck and she just left after I got here. I honestly have no idea where she went." Jim  answered. I nodded. We got to the cafeteria and grabbed our food and sat down. "So what are we gonna do guys? I mean me and Margret are leaving for Baltimore in 4 months, and you and Clay have jobs here. And I just don't know if I'm ready to live without you two." I said starting to tear up. Jim wrapped his arm around me. "We'll figure something out. I promise." I gave him a small smile. I don't want to lose my boys. We finished our breakfast quickly and got back to Clay's room. "How you feeling?" I asked as soon as I walked back in the room. He smiled. "Doing better now that you're back." I looked down feeling my cheeks heat up. He smirked at my obvious embarrassment. "I love you." He smiled at me. "I love you more." I went towards him and planted a soft kiss on his lips.