||26||

It was sunrise now. Jacob had taken off a few minutes ago, promising to let us know when it was clear for us to hunt.

And today was the last day. Tomorrow Bella was supposed to deliver. Or Carlisle estimated she would. And I was in no way prepared to spend one last day with my sister.

"You okay?" Carlisle asked me, walking over to the window I'd been looking mindlessly out of.

"If I'm being honest, no. I'm not ready for tomorrow. It's too soon. I don't want to lose her." I told him, my voice cracking at the end of my sentence.

Carlisle pulled me into his arms and I sighed sadly.

"We will try our very best to save her, Addy." He told me gently.

"I know. I just don't want to risk her dying." I said, then stepped away. "I'm going to be with her." I told him. He nodded, watching me with a pained expression as I walked away.

I went and sat beside Bella on the couch.

"Hey, Bells." I greeted, wrapping her blanket around her more tightly.

"Hey." Bella said weakly and I winced. Her voice had lost it's clearness again. The blood wasn't helping anymore. That hope was gone. And no matter how much I tried to be positive, I was angry and upset about my sister being taken away.

"Oh, not you too." Bella said and I glanced to her.

"What?"

"You're looking at me like everyone else does. Like I'm going to die. Like I'm dying and this is the last time you'll spend with me."

"Bells, I can't not think like this. Alex told me that the hybrid children we're descended from all killed their mothers. There haven't been any survivors." I told her.

Alex's information had been difficult to take. I knew Bella might not make it out of this before, but the certainty of what Alex said- it was terrifying.

Bella simply sighed. "Addy, I will make it. I'm strong enough."

"No! You're not. Bella, you're a hundred something pound human. There's no way your body can take this stress. Bella, you could die."

"I know! Don't you think I've thought of that? But I would rather die while having this child than live and never have one." Bella told me.

"I just don't want to lose you. I'm not ready." I told her.

Bella's eyes were filled with tears as she grabbed my hand. "You won't lose me. You'll have a part of me. Promise me you'll take care of the baby. Please."

"I promise, Bells."

But I knew it in my heart, that only a part of Bella would never be enough for me.

It wasn't long before Bella fell asleep again. I looked up as Edward and Jacob made their way into the room. Dad walked in too, and I wondered what the three of them had been talking about.

"She's exhausted." Edward remarked, coming and standing by her.

"At least when she sleeps, she's not in any pain." Dad said, coming over and sitting beside me on the couch.

"Well, she's not going to be around much longer to feel pain anyways." Jacob said and I glanced at him. What happened to the Jacob from yesterday? He seemed to have snapped. Now it was like all his anger was coming out at once. It was because he knew this was the last day.

"That's not helping Jacob."

"Oh come on, Addy, you know it's true. She's going to die because of this thing." He told me angrily.