||30||

I looked up as I heard footsteps nearing the house. Bella and Edward were on their way back.

"Jake, would you mind?" I asked him, knowing it would probably be safer for Bella to smell Jacob's blood before Alexia's.

"Using me as bait?" Jake asked and I grinned.

"You heal quickly." I told him.

Jake and I'd been getting along now that he was over Bella. Losing her seemed to have changed his mind about his feelings. He loved her as his best friend, and nothing more.

I was certainly relieved, seeing as it would have been awkward for Jake to still pine for Bella after all this time.

"Yeah, yeah." Jake muttered and walked outside.

"It's nice to see you two are getting along again." Carlisle told me softly and I smiled.

"I'm so happy everything worked out."

"I told you it would." Carlisle told me, kissing me on the forehead. I smiled, wrapping my hand around his own.

"Yes, that is your mommy." I heard Alex tell Alexia. Alexia must have been asking who Bella was. I sometimes forgot how advanced my niece was.

"I gotta say, Bells, you're a freak show." I heard Jacob say, and I smiled as I heard no animosity in his tone.

Bella and Jacob talked for a minute and then I heard their footsteps heading here.

Alex stood up, holding Alexia, with Dad at her side. The rest of us went and stood beside the two of them.

I heard Jacob speaking to Leah and Seth lowly outside of the house, then the sound of clothes ripping. They must be going for a run.

Bella walked towards Alex, and Alexia, looking amazed by her child.

"I was out just two days?" Bella asked in disbelief, noticing the quickness of Alexia's growth.

Alexia leaned towards Bella, reaching out for her. She turned and placed her palm against Alex's cheek. "Yes that's her."

Bella took a step forward and everyone acted instinctively. Emmett and Jasper were behind Bella, grabbing her arms and holding her back. The only people who hadn't moved were myself, Carlisle, Alex and Dad. I think Dad knew that Bella wasn't going to hurt Alexia.

"Oh, give her some credit. She wasn't going to do anything. You'd want a closer look, too." Alice chided.

"I'm okay." Bella told Edward, whose hand was placed on her shoulder.

"Keep close, though, just in case."

Alexia struggled towards Bella as she heard her mother's voice.

"Jazz, Em, let them through. Bella is in control." I told the two of them.

"Addy, the risk-" Jasper began, but Edward cut him off.

"Minimal. Listen, Jasper, on the hunt she caught the scent of some hikers who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.."

I winced as Carlisle seemed shocked. Emmett didn't seem concerned or Rose, but Jasper eyes widened, and then he nodded. He seemed to have expected this. Dad and Alex seemed concerned, but they looked more compassionate and worried about Bella than anything.

It then occured to me that Bella wouldn't have killed someone. She just wouldn't have. I knew my sister, and I knew she didn't do it.

I glanced at Edward to see him smiling slightly and I smiled too.

"Edward! How could you be so irresponsible!" Carlisle scolded.

"I know, Carlisle, I know. I was just plain stupid. I should have taken the time to make sure we were in a safe zone before I set her loose."