||14||

Luckily we were able to leave the dreadful place after that encounter. I didn't think I would be visiting Volterra wilfully anytime soon.

Edward was a few rows ahead of us and I could hear him trying to convince Bella to sleep. She wouldn't agree and I think it was because she didn't want him to disappear.

Even if she knew he lied about not wanting her, she was still worried. I didn't blame her, although I knew if Edward tried to leave her again, it would kill him.

"Yes, we'll be there at about 6." I heard Alice say on the phone. "I know. I love you, Jazz." Alice said, then hung up the call.

She saw me looking at her and sighed. "Is he mad about the close call?" I asked her.

"He's upset I didn't tell him the truth about it, but he knows I wanted to save him." She told me.

"So they'll be waiting for us at the airport, right?" I asked her and she nodded with a smile.

"I can't believe we made it out of there." I told her, thinking about Carlisle. I hadn't even told him a proper goodbye before I'd left with Alice. Now I wasn't going to waste another minute telling how how sorry I was.

"Did you really mean what you told Aro? About changing Bella?" Alice asked me and I heard an intake of breath from a few rows ahead. Edward was listening, possibly to our thoughts as well.

"I did mean it, but I don't think it will be me who ends up changing her. All I know is I won't lose her again, or Edward. I don't want my family to be torn apart." I told her.

Alice grinned at me. "You know you're a good mom." She said and I slapped her on the arm playfully.

"Whoa! I'm pretty sure you are all older than me except for Edward, but thank you." I told her softly.

The plane landed at six in the morning and I wasn't exactly subtle as I rushed my way as fast as I could without attracting attention.

I made it to the gate and saw Carlisle standing for me in front of Jasper and I ran.

I jumped into his arms.

"Adelaide, please never do that to me again." He told me and I nodded. "Never, I promise. I love you. I just needed to tell you that." I told him, leaning back from the hug.

"I love you too." He said, pulling me into a kiss. I kissed him back passionately, as if I was never going to see him again. Well, yesterday I thought I wouldn't.

I pulled away from Carlise to see Alice and Jasper were also embracing.

I turned to see Edward and Bella watching cautiously. I walked over and placed a hand on Bella's shoulder while Carlisle embraced Edward.

"Please never do that to me again, son." He said and Edward grinned, looking repentant.

"Sorry, Dad." He said.

Carlisle turned to Bella with a smile. "Thank you Bella, for bringing him home. It's good to have you back." Carlisle said and Bella smiled at him. I noticed she looked very tired like she might fall over any minute.

"Of course." Bella mumbled and her voice was muffled.

"We've got to get her home or else we'll be dragging her through the airport." I told Edward and he nodded. Bella leaned against him and I was on other side to make sure she didn't fall if she instantly fell asleep.

I guessed she didn't sleep at all on the flight, which had lasted all night.

We finally made it to the parking garage and I was surprised to see Emmett and Rosalie leaning against the black sedan.