Relapse

A/N: Sorry for the lack of updates, but the regents killed me. They are finally over so I'll be updating at a regular schedule now...hopefully. I'm currently struggling with writer's block so I'm sorry if this chapter sucks.

Luke's POV

I raced to kick to ball out of York's reach, lightly colliding into one of their teammates in the process. Behind me, someone screamed, "Foul" and the whistle blew. I threw my hands up above my head as my coach gave me a bewildered look.

"I didn't push him, I swear," I said, looking at my coach.

Coach Crowley looked at Coach Singer before responding, "Direct free kick to York."

My teammates groaned in response, "Thanks, Luke."

I couldn't say anything in return because I knew I was going to get hell for this. We resumed play and a member from York backs up from the ball and the whistle blows, just in time for the ball to go perfectly into the net. York exploded in smiles and cheers.

I go again, trying my hardest not to fuck up. I managed to get the ball back, dodging my way through the bodies that tried to kick the ball away from my feet.

"Here, Luke. I'm open," a voice calls from across me.

I look up to see Calum standing in front of me. Michael was waving his arms at me, motioning for me to hurry. I looked away from Calum and passed the ball to Michael, or so I thought I did. My mind and body worked differently as I soon realized as the ball stood by Calum's foot. He stood there speechless and it seemed as if time stopped around me. I took a step back, unsure of what I had just done. I could see Michael approaching me from the corner of my eye, staring at me like he wanted to tear my hair out. Calum recovered quickly, using my stillness to his advantage, as he raced passed me. He positioned his foot by the goal and made a swift kick, earning York another win.

Michael punched my arm. "What the hell was that man? Coach is going to kill you."

With that, I turned to Coach Crowley who looked beyond pissed. He gave me the signal and I began the walk up to him. Behind me, I heard the York team screaming Calum's name so loud it left a ringing in my ear.

"Practice is over," Coach Singer shouted, breaking apart the verbal fight between both teams.

Coach pulled me over quickly, out of earshot from the rest of my teammates who rushed past us to get back into the school. "What the hell was that?" he asked, in a hushed anger.

"I don't know! I meant to pass it to Michael, I swear," I said, begging the coach to believe me.

"In my 10 years coaching soccer, I have never had a player blatantly pass to another team member. I don't know what is going on Luke, but fix it and soon."

"Yes sir. I swear it won't happen again. Today was just a bad day." When Coach Crowley didn't respond, I turned around to head back in with the others.

"Hey Luke, are you close to that Calum kid?" he asked.

It was the question I had been fearing and I was unsure if I should answer truthfully. "Yeah, I mean, we're friends."

He looked at me, studying my face for any signs of my lies. "Do me a favor and keep your distance from that kid okay? Just until the game is over, then you can be friends or whatever you guys are with that kid again. I really want us to have a final win this year. Don't screw it up for the rest of your mates. They've been working for three years for this very moment."

I didn't know how to react so I nodded and gulped, feeling the lump lodged at the back of my throat growing bigger within seconds.

"Alright, go in."

I nodded again and treaded slowly towards the school, hoping to avoid my team in the showers. I thought about what the coach said. It was unfair right? The coach did have a point though, Calum was distracting. I couldn't believe the stunt I pulled at practice and it scared me to thing the same thing could happen at the real game. I could ruin it for everyone.

I reached for my gym bag tucked behind in a locker and pulled out my ringing phone. I read the caller ID and debated whether or not I should pick up. I shut my phone off and headed for the shower. I was determined to figure this out tomorrow.