Ⅸ.

✧ ・゚ : * ✧ ・゚ : *

A few moments later, Evelyn saw 5 figures emerge from the water. Relief flooded through her as she watched them approach, their forms illuminated by the golden glow of the setting sun. She hurried to meet them, her steps quickening with each passing moment.

Polnareff rushed forward, enveloping Evelyn in a bear hug. "Mon amie, I'm so relieved to see you!" he exclaims, his voice overflowing with emotion. Polnareff would never say it out loud, but he began to think of Evelyn as his little sister. As he spent more and more time with Evelyn, he began to see the resemblance between the two.

Evelyn reciprocated the hug, and said, "I'm so happy to see you too—" she said, but then she noticed Avdol among the men.

She could hardly believe her eyes. "M-Mr. Avdol?" she stuttered, her voice trembling with disbelief.

Avdol's smile widened as he nodded in confirmation. "Yes, it's me," he said gently, reaching out to place a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry we did not tell you, you deserved to know. The others were meant to tell you—"

Evelyn stopped Avdol and told him she's not mad and just happy he's okay. Evelyn could see one of Jotaro's rare smiles as he watched the interaction, and when she caught his eye be nodded at her, telling her he's glad she's fine.

Evelyn was once again embraced by a tight hug; this time by Mr. Joestar.

"I was worried sick about you," he whispered so no one heard, his voice filled with genuine concern. He holds her at arm's length, a wide grin spreading across his face, as he says "If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you're a Joestar yourself, just judging from all the trouble you get into." His words brought a soft chuckle from her lips, tinged with relief.

And finally, Evelyn turned to Noriaki, who's expression softened as he stepped forward, his eyes finding hers. "I'm glad you're safe, Evelyn," he said, his voice laced with sincerity. He reached out to gently place a hand on her shoulder, but before he could, Evelyn pulled him into a tight embrace.

Noriaki hesitated for a moment, surprised by the sudden gesture, but then he returned the embrace, wrapping his arms around Evelyn in a comforting hold. For a moment, they stood there, lost in the warmth of each other's embrace.

"I'm glad you're safe too, Noriaki," Evelyn whispered, her voice barely above a murmur as she spoke against his shoulder.

As they pulled away from the hug, Evelyn couldn't help but notice the slight blush dusting Noriaki's cheeks, a sight that made her heart flutter. She quickly looked away, feeling her own cheeks warm with embarrassment.

"Evelyn, you said you'll tell us what exactly happened with you when we arrived," Joseph started, "are you sure you're ready to talk about it?"

Evelyn nodded her head and began to recount what happened to her over the past weeks, starting on the very beginning; with the engagement ring.

"It all started when I entered my room in the old hag's hotel. Immediately my eyes caught a small box on the nightstand, but before I could open it the owner came in to ask if I found everything okay. When I asked about the box, she told me it was mine and to look in the closet too. I even remember her calling me Evelyn whereas that's not what I wrote in the guestbook."

"Well, inside the box was an engagement ring...the one Dio engaged me with."

"Woah, Evelyn, you never told us this before. You were engaged to Dio?" Jotaro asked.

Evelyn nodded, her gaze downcast. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner," she confessed, her voice heavy with regret. "I felt ashamed for falling for his manipulative charms. But it wasn't really him I fell for—rather the idea of him. Finding that ring brought back memories I'd rather forget."