Cinderella (Part One)

(Y/n) and Rohan had slept until the first dawn chorus of the following morning, and followed their daily morning routine: they ate their breakfast, made their beds, brushed their teeth, combed their hair, and Rohan changed her bandage and cleaned her wound. When the time came to get dressed, however, he immediately called for an emergency shopping spree after his eyes were assaulted by (Y/n)'s moth-eaten and mottled 'clothing'—which Rohan honestly believed was sewn from an old curtain or bed sheet.

So Rohan and (Y/n) made their way through downtown Morioh. First, they stopped at the Kameyu Department Store, where the father led his daughter through labyrinths erected from fabrics of varying sort: chiffon dresses with ghostly palms caressed the legs of passing women, sequin mimed the skin of sea glass to attract customers, denim jeans dreamed of the perfect shirt, cashmere sweaters gifted neighboring clothes warmth, and floral patterns silently judged wandering customers with clandestine eyes hidden beneath their petals. Now Rohan was a fabric connoisseur, so he thoroughly inspected the needlework on every dress, shirt, pair of pants, and nightgown, assessed which colors compliment each other, and put every outfit's tensile strength to the test (which led to him ripping at least three shirts in half) to ensure that (Y/n) had only the most glorious wardrobe out of any nine-year-old girl in Morioh.

Once Kameyu was starved of Gucci and the finest of children's clothing, Rohan and (Y/n) stopped to watch a lilac-haired guitarist with a cerulean scar over his eye perform Snow (Hey Oh). After he gave the guitarist his autograph, making the musician click his heels together in joy, he left for St. Gentleman's for lunch with (Y/n) perched comfortably on his shoulders, and (Y/n) began to tell him about her dream from the night prior.

"But no matter how many times I jumped into the air, I just couldn't take off into the sky! I lost all hope in ever flying...but then you and a woman swooped down to help me! You two grabbed my hands, lifted me off of the ground, then swoosh!" (Y/n) hollered, throwing her hands into the air. "We were flying high above the clouds!"

"That sounds like a great dream, (Y/n)!" Rohan chuckled. "But I am quite curious: who was the woman with me?"

"Oh, I've never seen her before!" (Y/n) professed, watching the morphing clouds drift lazily by, "In fact, I'm not sure if she really was a woman! Every time I tried to get a good look at her, the sunlight kept getting in my eye..."

"Hm, a mysterious woman appearing in dreams...I could incorporate that idea into Pink Dark Boy somehow!" Rohan thought aloud as he counted ideas for chapters on his fingers.

(Y/n) leaned her head forward until her nose touched Rohan's. "Maybe the woman was a spooky ghost haunting my dream!"

Rohan playfully pushed her head away. "I don't think a spooky ghost would help you fly or be in a sweet dream, (Y/n)."

"That's a good point...so then she was a kind ghost! The kindest ghost in all of Morioh!"

"Or maybe she wasn't a ghost at all. Perhaps the woman was your guardian angel, watching over you in your dreams," Rohan expounded.

"My guardian angel?" (Y/n) nuzzled her face into Rohan's moss-colored hair. "But I thought you were my guardian angel, Rohan-Sensei!"

A dragonfly with wings as pink as strawberry lemonade landed on the tip of Rohan's ear to roost. He dithered at the wings beating against his eardrum, though he didn't mind the insect hitching a ride; and (Y/n) became mesmerized at the sunlight bleeding through the stained glass wings, coating Rohan's ear in a light crimson color.

"Well, maybe you have two guardian angels, (Y/n)."

(Y/n), ponder as she might, couldn't figure out the identity of her second guardian in her dream. So instead, she watched the dragonfly hop onto the antitragus of Rohan's ear to thank him, before she flitted away into the never-ending marigold sky.