Scenes From An Italian Restaurant (Part One)

A/N: This was one of my favorite chapters to write in the original version, and I absolutely love Tonio's character! I wish we got to see more of him in part four, and hopefully, David Productions will adapt the short story Poaching Seashore, where he and Rohan go hunting for abalones! Anyway, feedback is always appreciated, and I hope you enjoy the chapter! ---SundropDandelion <3

Outside of Trattoria Trussardi, vibrant hues of red, violet, and blue babbled across the sky like sleepy brooks, stars swimming amongst their current. The moon, ripe and plump, hung low enough to dip its face into the colors, and the remaining sunlight of the day balanced on the rooftop of the restaurant, similar to a performing acrobat. Okuyasu, pondering as his body leaned against the railing of the porch that overlooked the graveyard, waited for his father, Tonio Trussardi, to join him on that crisp night. Unbeknownst to him, the chef was lamenting inside, unaware that his son was waiting outside.

A group of toy soldiers, a golden arrow tattooed with a design akin to people cheering, and a shorter version of Tonio's chef hat with an edelweiss flower tucked in its crease were displayed on the mantle of the fireplace in his restaurant. A thin layer of dust had snowed down on the mantel like ash from a war lost, fingerprints of the past fossilized on the objects.

Tonio's face was faded underneath the widow's veil of silver from the moon, red from the reflection of wine bottles, and orange from the crackling fire. He bowed his head to the scents of his restaurant when they conquered his consciousness with nostalgia, and he blinked the kind of blink that traps tears.

Okuyasu entered the dining area and frowned at the sight he beheld. His youthful eyes were accustomed to the scene, yet his soul fell old and strange and gray every time he saw it, the feeling of autumn bemoaning as its last leaf falls. Okuyasu's feet argued with his mind, his left foot telling him to go back outside and his right foot telling him to approach the chef, in which he did the latter when a single tear from Tonio captured the firelight as it fell to the floor.

Now, for what Okuyasu lacked in intelligence, he greatly made up for in emotional understanding. He walked over and embraced him so that their hearts were one, and for a second, the chef thought that Okuyasu had turned into a cloud; his hug was that loving. Tonio did not hesitate to return the gesture, and they both closed their eyes, the waters of memory flowing down the rivulets of their necks.

And until their guests arrived, neither the father nor son parted the embrace, nor was a word spoken in Trattoria Trussardi.

                                                                            <><><>

"Wow, look at this place! I can't believe I'm really eating at a restaurant!"

Rohan and Reimi's adoring glances made the moon float higher into the night, like a balloon. They looked at each other and chuckled good-heartedly at excitement taking (Y/n)'s legs by the reins, which made her skip a horse trough's length ahead of them; but the girl quickly realigned with Rohan and Reimi when she looked to the left of her, where gravestones peppered a field and reached towards the heavens to catch falling stars to make wishes for the dead.

"Rohan-Sensei? Reimi? I don't think placing a restaurant next to a graveyard is a very good idea..." (Y/n) whispered, hugging Rohan's leg for safety.

The adults looked to the field and instantly spotted three graves in a row, all aglow from the veins of dusk.

"It's certainly strange," Rohan said, "but I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a bad thing."

Then Reimi said at the tilt of (Y/n)'s head, "I think it brings everyone in Morioh together: the old, the young, the sick, the healthy, and even those who aren't with us anymore."