Vincent

A/N: Oh my gosh, has it already been a year since I uploaded this? It's insane how time flies! Feedback is always appreciated, as it motivates me to keep writing, so please let me know the strengths and weaknesses of my writing! I hope you enjoy!

—SundropDandelion <3

The trip from the end of the hallway where (Y/n)'s bedroom dwelled to the back porch of the Kishibe residence was just shy of thirty seconds, yet the girl managed to cram in a full game of twenty questions into that time slot, guesses at what her special surprise could be buzzing out of her mouth like bumblebees performing a jig.

"Oh, oh! Is my special surprise a Duwang, Rohan-Sensei and Ms. Sugimoto? Is it?"

What on earth is a duwang? the mangaka thought to himself. Assuming it was the typical idioglossia of a child, he bothered not to ask. "It's definitely not...whatever that is, (Y/n)." Rohan placed his hand on the knob and opened the door. "This surprise, well, can be anything you want it to be..."

Not one, not two, not three, but five rainbows were awaiting (Y/n)'s arrival on the porch, the first being quite literal as well as unplanned, as one germinated like the shoot of a plant across the sky and touched down beyond the environs of Morioh. A mahogany art kit next to a canvas perched on an easel of similar wood held the other four rainbows: a grand collection of oil pastels, tiny tubes of acrylic paint, crayons, and pencils, both colored and charcoal, all lay neatly shoulder-to-shoulder in their wooden neighborhood, ready to create!

"I know I said I would take you out to choose an art kit of your own, but as I was shopping the other day I came across this one: it was the last one in stock, and it was too beautiful for me to risk having someone else buy it. So I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to paint together!"

(Y/n)'s joy could not be vocalized, so she allowed her actions to speak for her: she rubbed a violet oil pastel in between her fingers until there was a clear outline of her fingerprint; the aroma of crayon wax and wood from the colored pencils tickled her nose; and minuscule flecks of green paint spewed from the tube and onto her nose like a pool of water nicked by a pebble when she squeezed it. Her smile aglow from faint sun rays ogling at her pearly-white teeth, (Y/n) flew to her guardians, gaily as a balloon bumping its head on a cloud.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is the greater-est surprise in the whole, entire world!" (Y/n) giggled at her silly combination of words.

Reimi chuckled, "Even greater-est than the matching pajamas I bought for you and your teddy bear, Rilakkuma?"

Rohan tried to one-up his best friend with, "And even greater-est than the fairy house-building kit I bought for you? Nobody can top surprises from the Great Kishibe Rohan, after all!"

"You just have to turn everything into a competition, don't you Rohan?" Reimi sneered, rolling her eyes.

"Of course I do! How else would I maintain my greatness?"

(Y/n) had also grown familiar with the petty arguments her guardians would often engage in. Most of the time they were fooling around for a good laugh, but the occasional bicker could get out of hand, and this was one of those cases. (Y/n) interjected, "There's no need to argue, Rohan-Sensei and Ms. Sugimoto! All of your surprises are equally greater-est!"

Rohan and Reimi exchanged glances that brought them back to their 32-year-old states of mind. "I suppose I can settle with equal," Rohan said, "as long as it's on my level of grandeur."

As though the concept of karma failed to find proper trouble to punish, a great gust of wind toppled over the easel and canvas. He rushed over and fixed the mess with a huff. "I think that is our cue to create, (Y/n)."