Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One)

A/N: So I'll be going back to uploading one chapter at a time, simply because it's easier for me that way: I won't feel overwhelmed by writing multiple chapters at once, switching back and forth between them and being unfocused in general, and uploads will be much quicker!

"And, perfect."

Inside of a doctor's office sat a picture frame that protected a memory of a young boy and his family from being lost with time. In the photo the boy—who was five years old at the time—was sitting on his mother's lap, pressing a stethoscope to his grandfather's chest. It was clear to anyone who admired the photo that their smiles held so much love for each other, a love that inspired the boy to speak these words:

"Mama, Grandpa, when I'm older, I'm going to become a nurse! I'm going to help people who are hurt and sick smile again!"

Those foreign to Morioh may question who the boy in the photograph was, but nearly every resident knew that it was none other than Josuke Higashikata, a young man who inspired many for his compassionate and allegiant spirit; his pompadour was also a sight to behold, a style people either deemed as suave or utterly ridiculous (by the way, whomever told him the latter often ate their words thereupon).

It was the first day of Josuke's work study, where he was taking his first steps at Budogaoka Hospital to achieve his dream of becoming a nurse. As he finished polishing off the picture frame, his mind began to wander about the day ahead of him. Josuke felt great excitement knowing that he was going to have the honor of reuniting patients with their lost happiness, like his grandfather, Officer Higashikata, had done before his passing. However, this excitement did not come without its anxieties.

Tomoko Higashikata, Josuke's bold and endearing mother, creaked open the door to her office and peeked her head in. She expected the creak to catch Josuke's attention, but she found that her son's gaze was instead fixated on the family picture. Tomoko's expression turned bittersweet, then she walked over to Josuke and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey Josuke, how are you feeling?" Tomoko asked. Although, thanks to a mother's intuition, she already knew the answer. "It's a big day for you! Are you excited?"

Josuke snapped out of his daze and looked up at Tomoko with a gentle smile. "You bet I am!" he exclaimed, hoping that his voice didn't show any signs of unease. Yet there it was, as subtle as a fine line of gossamer that sticks to the eyelashes on hikes, to which Tomoko plucked off with her facial expression. Josuke changed his answer to, "well, at least I think I am..."

Tomoko squeezed the hand that was placed on Josuke's shoulder and teased, "aw, what's eating at you, kiddo? Not thinking of backing out, are we?"

"Oh no, not at all!" Josuke said with a wave of his hands. He averted his gaze and focused on the picture frame in front of him. "It's just that Grandpa...he protected Morioh...he made so many people feel safe and happy to live here; and I want to do the same to carry on his legacy! But what if I mess up and disappoint, Mom? What if I can't make his spirit live on?"

"Josuke..."

Then Josuke, knowing full well that he would not be able to hear a sound, placed the stethoscope over the photograph.

"Why did Grandpa have to go?"

A somber tranquility settled in the office. Tomoko, maintaining her confident attitude, lifted Josuke's chin and turned his head towards her. His face moved to match the compassion that his mother showed him.

"Josuke, do you know what made your grandfather a great police officer in the first place?"

Josuke brought a finger to his chin. "Well, he was exceptionally brave! He always rushed in to save others, and no matter how bad things got, Grandpa never lost sight of his benevolence—"