The Moon Will Sing (Part Two)

A/N: Please note that there is verbal abuse present in this chapter. If you are sensitive to this subject matter, please read with caution.

A cell phone was not a peculiar sight to (Y/n), for the swarms of people that passed by her on the streets always had their necks hunched, thumbs tapping and hovering like honey bees attracted to the current news or trends the phone provided to them at the moment.

But that certainly didn't mean she knew how to use one. By the time Rohan's phone was in her hand it had already rung four times. She read the string of numbers aloud (and slowly, too, for the lessons her mother taught her on reading and math were minimal), and every external button was pressed out of curiosity. She tapped the screen, leaping straight out of her skin when the ringing swelled in volume from her hitting the speaker button, and instinctively jammed her finger on the red button. The phone went quiet.

Seconds later it rang again, and (Y/n) jumped once more, shielding her ears. She observed the rectangular device, still wondering what to do with it, or how to at least get the noise to stop. The green answer button popped against the rest of the widgets on the screen, and (Y/n) decided to press it. She was pleased to find that the annoying ringing had ceased.

Shuffling was heard, and the girl held it up to her ear, following the visual instructions of her memories of the people talking on their phones on the street. She skipped the last step, the introduction, and enough time went by for the voice on the other end to introduce herself with a displeased cadence.

"Wow, Rohan, you hate me enough to hang up on me, huh?"

(Y/n)'s heart twitched. She recognized that voice.

"...Mama?"

"...Oh, (Y/n)." (M/n)'s voice flopped. "It's just you—my wonderful, loving daughter!" A cheery tone chased away the disappointment in her voice. "Say, is Rohan there with you?"

"Um, he's not." The sneaking hallway light struck her pupil like a snake. "He left the house because he's busy..."

"Sounds like your father," (M/n) sneered, previous negativity bounding back like a boomerang. "You would think he would change after ten years, huh? But it all looks the same: too busy to pay attention to his girlfriend, and much too busy to pay his daughter any mind."

(Y/n) curved her back and clutched the phone tight.

"Anywho, since someone just had to go and waste one of my yen coins by hanging up on her loving mother who just wanted to check in on her past boyfriend, guess I'll talk to you. How is your day going? Are you getting settled in nicely?"

"Not really..." At least (Y/n) didn't have to lie about that. "I had to go into surgery today..."

"What?" Her laid-back, nonchalant drone jumped up and leaned forward; it was the most concerned she had ever sounded towards another human being. "You went into surgery?!"

"I did. The doctors took my eye away, and I'm going to get a glass one soon, which will look like my old eye."

"...I see. So you'll look like your old self again, huh?" (M/n)'s voice fell back into its imaginary seat. "That's good to hear."

"Yeah..." She briefly dreamed about her reflections from long ago, the ones in puddle-paved streets or from bits of glass on the house floors. "A-And the doctor and nurse who helped me were the nicest people I've ever met! Their names were Josuke and Dr. Higashikata—"

"Oh." (M/n)'s tone held itself against (Y/n) throat. "They were the nicest people you've ever met, and not me?"

(Y/n) backed away, bargaining with the threat of losing her mother's attention. "No, I didn't mean it like that! I was just trying to say how—"