See Emily Play (Part Two)

A/N: I want to give a huge thanks to my friend Cosmic who did the amazing artwork for this chapter! 

Reimi daintily walked across a pathway of flat stones to get to the backyard, stopping only once to admire newborn flora bursting from their earthen womb to suckle on dewdrops in the garden. She called out her furry companion's name, only to be answered by the chiming of a girl's mirth rather than the barks and howls she was used to. She peered from behind the outermost column of Rohan's back porch and saw a girl clad in a nightgown the color of weeping willows surrounded by five gray bunnies, all hopping around her merrily as she and Arnold chased each other throughout the yard; the sixth bunny braved the vulnerability of the lawn to nibble on clovers.

Reimi knew right away that it was Kishibe (Y/n), for she had the natural curiosity of her father and bore some semblance to him: her laugh especially. It stuck out to Reimi, as it was a mellower yet higher-pitched version of his laugh.

"Arnold! Let the poor thing stand up!" Reimi said, having difficulty keeping her sentence straight because she herself was laughing.

Arnold knocked (Y/n) down one last time, barked to let his owner know that he would be right over, gave the girl a slobbery kiss, then sprinted over to Reimi, touching his nose to hers. She bestowed (Y/n) a welcoming smile, and when she did, there was something about her reaction that caught Reimi by surprise: (Y/n) didn't move her hands an inch to hide her eye, a fact she had heard from Rohan.

"Hi, Ms. Sugimoto!" (Y/n) chirped, her face camouflaging with the roses behind her as her foot pawed at the ground like the hoof of a lamb; the bunnies watched from behind (Y/n) with childlike wonder.

"Hi, (Y/n)! All calmed down from your sugar rush, I see," Reimi chuckled.

"Yep! I ran around the house for twenty minutes, then for another twenty minutes I jumped on Rohan-Sensei's bed, then for another twenty minutes, he and I had a dance party in my bedroom! Then he made me some sleepytime tea, told me a story about a horse jockey who couldn't walk while tucking me into bed, and after he gave me a special goodnight kiss, I went—" (Y/n) tilted her head back and snored playfully. The two of them shared a hearty laugh.

"My, sounds like quite an eventful night! Speaking of your father, where is he?" Reimi asked, glancing around the garden.

"Oh, he's sleeping in my room," (Y/n) said, petting Arnold's head. "I had a nightmare in the middle of the night, and Rohan-Sensei came into my room because he heard me crying and said that he would stay with me until I fell back asleep! But when I woke up this morning, he was still hunched over in my chair, snoring!"

Joy leaped across (Y/n)'s face like a ballerina and a panegyric about Rohan prepared to leave the velvet wings of her throat to perform on her tongue; but Reimi stole the spotlight with a smile and a statement.

"I can tell that Rohan makes you very happy, (Y/n)."

"Nobody has ever made me as happy as he has before! He tells me stories, hugs me when I'm scared, feeds me yummy foods, changes my bandage, and he bought me brand-new clothes yesterday! He does a lot for me, and I want to do something for him in return! But I don't know what to do, Ms. Sugimoto..."

(Y/n) fell silent to ponder, and it was so silent that Reimi could hear the military cadence of ants marching into their colony nearby. If it wasn't for Arnold trying to eat sticks, she would have stayed on the road of thought forever. "Why don't we brainstorm a gift for your father over breakfast? I think Arnold is starting to get hungry, as well as I! I just bought us groceries this morning, so I'll whip us up some omelets to eat!"

(Y/n) brought a finger stiff with interest to her chin. "Ome...lettes? What's an omelettes again, Reimi?"

"An omelet," Reimi started, emphasizing the correct use of grammar, "is kind of like a pancake! But instead of flour and sugar and butter, you use eggs, cheese, and vegetables!"