See Emily Play (Part One)

Surprise, a double upload! ...Kinda! I was going to wait until next week, but uploading now would give me more motivation to work on the next chapter! Anyway, I think you all know the drill by now: please comment on my strengths as a writer, and what I can improve on! Happy reading!

---SundropDandelion <3

Reimi Sugimoto and her labrador retriever Arnold sat within the comforts of their apartment within the violet iris of dusk. The living room occasionally blinked from the passage of migratory birds near her window, and sundry sounds from neighboring apartments, such as a husband quarreling with his wife below and a mother crooning lullabies to her newborn above, brought their otherwise still apartment back from the dead.

It was sadly ironic, the loneliness Reimi felt. Thousands of people passed by her in the tumultuous city everyday and she was surrounded by hundreds more in her abode, yet she was but a mere ghost to everyone: her existence forgotten, forced to live in an isolated purgatory. It didn't help that the sky was empty of stars every night either. To cope, Reimi would take Arnold to dog parks, reach out to the people she had babysat during her teen years, and would even try to get in contact with the spirit realm via summoning circles or mysterious phone numbers she found on quite questionable websites; and while these activities numbed the pain in the moment, there was something near and dear to her heart that acted as an abiding medicine for her loneliness.

Rohan and Reimi's Random Rendezvous is what the childhood friends called their personal museum. The scrapbook, which was the same shade of yellow as an ox's horn, wheezed out a cloud of murky dust every time its pages were turned, and the seams on the spine groaned from holding years of memorabilia together. No sorrow could live in Reimi when she read the title crafted from magazine letters or gazed upon the library of decades-old photographs behind plastic walls. Her face was as bright as the sun and as merry as springtime, and the twilight and loneliness could never extinguish this joy as long as she held the scrapbook in her hands.

But then, she flipped to the last photograph in the book.

It was taken at night, though the sky was gray. On the left was a woman skinny in figure yet plump in riches, and on the right was a man starving in both physique and affection, his face as pale as an ill pearl and as deprived of pride as a narwhal without a horn. Behind them was the sea, where docile waves grazed on a pasture of seaweed like sheep, though it was not a pleasing sea where dolphins waltz together in the limelight of the moon and lost stars nestle in cribs of seafoam. It was a sea where sirens cast their alluring voices into the blackened, unknown waters to fish for lustful sailors and fang-like rocks drool at the thought of a passerby walking off of the cliff that bordered the photo.

Arnold sniffed the photograph inquisitively, whining and pawing at the woman next to Rohan. "That is (M/n), Rohan's girlfriend from ten years ago. You weren't even born yet when the two of them were dating. I always wonder where she went after they broke up...what she's doing at this very moment..."

The ringing of her cell-phone threw her thoughts off balance. She rose from her leather-clad couch, shouted "I'll get it!" into the darkness, snickered sarcastically to herself, then stumbled through the twilight as it felt as though it used hundreds of ghostly hands to playfully swat her around her apartment, pretending to be a cat and treating her like a toy full of catnip. Reimi was annoyed from crashing into her furniture and walls, but her annoyance died when she saw who was calling her.

"And speak of the devil!" She answered the phone with a click. "...Ew, why is a green bean calling my phone?"

"Well well, I wasn't expecting the pink menace to actually answer!" Rohan quipped. "What are you doing at this hour? Nearly burning your apartment down trying to summon Zuul in your refrigerator?"