Here Comes A Thought

A/N: Hello, everyone! Apologies for how late this chapter is! This was originally going to be one giant chapter, but I thought it would be best to split it in half. I would have done a double-upload today, but I'm not quite finished with the second half yet, and I won't be able to work on it for a few days b/c I currently have a head injury and need to rest (let's just say that horses are unpredictable animals). I hope this first half is serviceable, and as always, let me know my strengths and weaknesses as a writer!

—SundropDandelion <3

Jotaro and Jolyne didn't receive an answer.

The tapping of their toes eventually became one. Jolyne grew impatient with anticipation of mending her friendship with (Y/n), while Jotaro's lack of patience stemmed from worry. He knocked on the inner frame again, and there wasn't a sound.

They entered the room with a creak. The only light he used to navigate the area was from the hallway, irrigating the room in the shape of a rectangle that climbed up the wall and divided the room like this: shade, light, and shade again. In the section of yellowish glow, the silhouettes of (Y/n) and Arnold were lying on the wingspan of Jolyne's butterfly rug, curled up like cocoons. The Labrador Retriever nurtured the left side of (Y/n)'s face with snout bumps and kisses.

"Hi (Y/n), how are you?" Jolyne said, pressing the blue button on the remote control belonging to her moon lamp. The yellow parts of the room churned into green, easy on the eyes. "You didn't eat the bowl of macaroni gratin Mommy left for you. Arentcha hungry?"

"Hold on, Jolyne," Jotaro hushed, kneeling beside (Y/n) and Arnold. "She's asleep; we shouldn't wake her."

Jolyne was immensely disappointed but didn't protest the idea quite yet. She idled by the door and watched Jotaro tuck the guest into the bottom bunk with utmost care. "Daddy? Are you sure that we shouldn't wake (Y/n) up?" Jolyne asked, practically begging him to take her suggestion.

"I'm sure, Jo." Arnold stationed himself underneath the bed like the great guard dog he was, and Jotaro gave him hearty pats on the head. "To say that she's had a subpar day would be an understatement, and she should wake up with a clear mind tomorrow."

Jolyne acquiesced to her father's reasoning without a word, for she saved her breath to say, "(Y/n), I don't know if you can hear me saying this, but I hope that you have sweet dreams tonight; and again, I'm sorry about not being that good of a friend to you earlier, and I'll talk to you in the morning, when you're feeling better."

She followed behind her father down the stairs as gloomy as a servant without work, after reuniting her door and its lip with a soft click. Her family had changed their scenery to the back porch, for in the Kujo family, that is where baked goods on the weekend were always served. Josuke was slicing a fluffy strawberry cake and serving the portions on paper plates. By the comforts of the fire table, crisp and crackling in their ears, Joseph gave Shizuka her first-ever and minuscule taste of strawberry and whipped icing—she cooed happily, so she must have liked it—and Ms. Kujo held two cups of after-dinner coffee for her and Jotaro. (Years ago, before they had even fallen in love, their drinks would be enjoyed in the company of a cigarette and its dancing smoke. They gave up the habit for good once they decided to conceive Jolyne.)

Josuke balanced three plates of cake along his arm (as Okuyasu had told (Y/n), he had an extremely short-lived experience with waiting): a sliver for his nephew, a perfectly-angled triangle for his great-niece, and an extra heaping portion for his first-ever patient and little buddy. His, Ms. Kujo's, and Joseph's smiles were as sweet as their treats when Jotaro and Jolyne entered the scene, their eyes looking around for (Y/n).

"Say, where's (Y/n)? I thought you'd have her with you?"

"She's asleep upstairs," Jotaro replied, prodding the inner layer of his dessert with his fork. He and the rest of the family suddenly ditched their appetites and placed their slices of cake anywhere but within stepping range—even Jolyne lost her usual interest in sweets then.