Escapism

A/N: I want to apologize for how long it took for me to update this fic. I don't think I've ever struggled as much as I did with any form of writing before, and I'm hoping that it at least delivers. With that being said, this chapter is equally as heavy as the last, for it contains discussions about physical child abuse in the form of a breakdown, so please read with caution if these are sensitive topics for you. As always, feel free to comment on strengths and what needs to be improved. Thank you.

After leaving their shoes and socks on the back porch, Jolyne and Josuke jumped down from the beach wall and onto the sand, kicking up a mighty, scratchy cloud. Ms. Kujo entered the seascape via a wooden staircase, and (Y/n), like an equine second-guessing her ability to jump a ravine, paced to and fro on the edge of the stairs.

"Hey lil' buddy, whatcha doing all the way over here?" Josuke asked, jogging over to his friend. "Have you changed your mind about going for a walk?"

"No, I'd still like to go." She reeled away from the coarse texture of the sand granules underneath her finger as she dragged it along the ground. "But what if I don't like how the sand feels beneath my feet?"

"Well, you certainly won't know unless you give it a try!" Josuke said sweetly and compassionately. "Here, I've got an idea: why don't we slowly introduce you to the beach by finding one thing that we can hear, touch, see, and smell? That way, you're not overwhelmed, and can get a better understanding of what the beach is like! We can start by walking onto the sand..."

He helped her to the final step of the staircase and patiently watched her tap the gritty terrain with her big toe. She squeaked, clutched the railing, and shut her eye so tight that all she saw was the pink, branchy veins of her eyelid as the sunlight bled through it. "Josuke, I don't think I can do this..."

Ms. Kujo and Jolyne, from the division of land and water, patiently waited for (Y/n) and Josuke. The child giggled as she jumped in the wet sand with a splat! and sploosh! and watched clams squirt up jets of water. "Mommy, what do you think (Y/n)'s favorite part of the beach will be? Mine is wakeboarding, and building sand castles!"

"From what I've heard (Y/n) is quite an artist, so I personally think that she will be most excited to find seashells and sea glass."

"I like doing those things, too." Jolyne snapped her fingers as a great idea came to her. "Mommy, Mommy, maybe we can glue sea glass to our message bottles tomorrow to make them all pretty!"

"That's a wonderful idea, hun!"

And then they waited a few moments longer. Jolyne skipped a pebble across the waves in honor of every passing minute and lavished in the seaweed pedicure the ocean gave her for every second. No matter the unit of time, Jolyne spent it by growing impatient.

"Mommy, what is taking Grunkle Josuke and (Y/n) so long? They should have been over here by now!"

They had to rely on gestures to guess the conversation Josuke and (Y/n) were so engrossed in to forget about their walk, for they were much too far away to be able to read either of their lips. Jolyne initially believed that Josuke was telling his friend a tall tale about sea serpents and Krakens, for (Y/n) recoiled, rubbed her arms insecurely, and shook her head frightfully. Josuke knew better than to frighten the girl, Ms. Kujo knew as much, so she assumed that he was helping her get used to the surroundings; but even she hadn't an answer.

"I'm not sure myself; but if I had to guess, it's that (Y/n) is changing her mind about this walk. We may need to take it elsewhere, or not go on one at all, depending on what she needs."

"What? Oh, come on!"

"Hey, Jolyne, Ms. Kujo," Josuke called out, power-walking towards the girls, "(Y/n) isn't too keen on coming down to the beach; she doesn't really like how the sand feels on her feet."