What Do You Say, Road Trip?

- Third Person POV

"Jess and Y/N got in trouble for fighting? What happened, did Jess say something bad about Violent Femmes so Y/N became one?" Lorelai smiles proudly at her own joke.

"They didn't get in a fight with each other," Luke sighs out, wiping down the counter with high intensity.

"Then who the hell did they tag team? I didn't think they shared a mutual hatred for anyone specific,"

"Dean," Luke states, not bothering to elaborate.

"Dean? As in Rory's Dean? Bag-boy Dean? Big softie who would never hurt a fly? What did he ever do to them?"

"Hell if I know, the little tykes won't tell me a thing. Apparently he 'deserved it', but that's all I got,"

"And you believe them?" Luke pauses his task of cleaning up to side eye the Gilmore.

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Because it's Y/N and Jess, Luke! They have that whole burn-it-to-the-ground thing going on, they don't need valid reason to do something harmful," She is frantic, clearly aggravated in her disbelief of the teenagers being good intentioned in what they did.

"Where the hell is this coming from, Lorelai? You may not have warmed up to Jess fully, but you've always liked Y/N. Now you're telling me you don't trust her either? You know what, can you just go, I think I'll do a better job cleaning up if you aren't here,"

"They're your responsibility, you know. Y/N is better than she was, but that kind of damage never really goes away, and this town hates Jess enough, don't let things get worse than they already are," Lorelai storms out of the diner, slamming the door behind her and pacing straight home.

Luke throws the cleaning rag he was holding across the diner and stomps on up the stairs. The door to the apartment swings open and he points his index finger at the pair sitting on the hardwood floor within the sea of moving boxes. They were currently holding ice on their wounds, Jess with a bag of peas to his nose, soothing the black eyes that were already forming, and Y/N - a sandwich bag full of ice cubes was resting on her pulsating, red knuckles. Sonic Youth was blaring through the stereo by their side.

"You two need to tell me what the hell happened, right now!"

Jess just whistles and starts clicking an applause, "That's a great voice, Luke. Very authoritative, I almost felt intimidated by you for a moment,"

"I am serious, Jess. Why won't you both just talk to me like I'm a real person for once?"

"Dean's a douche that had it coming," Y/N shrugs, checking the swelling on her hand.

"Yeah, yeah you've gone with that excuse already, I'm afraid I'll need more than that,"

"He was going to hit Y/N, I was just doing the gentlemanly thing and stepped in. Now, I couldn't just stand there and take the punches without getting a few in for myself now, could I?"

"What?" Now Luke practically had steam exploding from his ears he was so tensed up. "Why would Dean want to hit Y/N?"

"That's what I thought, I'm a delight," Y/N smiles cheekily, earning a hidden smirk from the other boy before he winces in pain from the makeshift ice-pack hitting his nose in the wrong spot. With a death stare from Luke, she huffs and adjusts her sitting position, "He said that I coerced Rory into breaking up with him, then he tried to go all Mike Tyson on me when I told him that she did that all on her own volition,"

"Wait, Rory broke up with Dean?"

"What's got you so invested in the love lives of the teens of Stars Hollow? If I'd have known I would've told you sooner, apparently this girl Amy-" Y/N nudges Jess playfully with her elbow, and he shuts up, but his mischievous smile lingers.