[34] Ohana

The rest of the family were just as shocked to hear Cass talk because Tim had intentionally not told anyone about it just to see their reactions. Cass had gone along with his idea and the two had the best day pranking the others.

Only Alfred was the one who did not get shocked and actually knew that Cassandra had been able to speak that entire time.

But they had fun with the others. Cass would say only one word or two abruptly and then when they got startled and asked her if she had said something, she would pretend as if she had no idea what they were talking about, making them confused.

Tim was observing the chaos from a distance, controlling the urge to laugh out loud as he was the actual mastermind behind that.

Jason thought he had accidentally taken something from Roy's stash and consumed it because how else could he imagine Cassandra talking after days of being silent? Steph too had a very startled reaction and pinched herself to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

Richard was tired so he didn't notice when Cass simply asked him, "you okay?"

Instead, he replied with a shrug before collapsing on the couch. Barbara laughed and patted her head when Cass had briefly muttered a word to her, catching onto the joke pretty quickly.

Now only Bruce was left and they were all eager to see his reaction. Tim and Jason wanted to plan something big but Cass wasn't much into the theatrics of the act.

So that night when the vigilantes were going out on patrol and Bruce was already dressed up as Batman, she went up to him and he paused, wanting to know what she wanted.

"Yes Cassandra, is something wrong?"

She shook her head in reply, not saying anything just yet.

"Do you want to say something to me?" He asked, trying to think of what it could be already.

She nodded her head, eyes focused on reading his expression.

"Oh well, go ahead," he managed a slight smile, expecting her to sign like he had seen her do so with Tim.

So nothing could prepare him for the shock he received when she spoke, "I want... To go patrol too."

He was rooted to the spot, his pale blue eyes focused on her in surprise. She had spoken out of her own accord and although the sentence was slightly broken, she had used her voice instead of signing.

"You want to be a vigilante?" He asked, recovering from the mix of shock and surprise.

She didn't say anything then, pointing to the swords and making a sign of fighting with the swords.

"Cassandra, you just spoke... You have known how to talk all this time," he remarked and once again she nodded in reply, saying nothing. "Then why were you not speaking to us for so long?"

She paused but then replied after some consideration on whether she should tell him the reason or not, "my Father say... No reason to speak. So I not speak."

Bruce felt a surge of anger toward the man who had treated her so badly. It was almost as if he had not considered her a human and just saw her as a weapon to wield. He had been taught by David Cain himself for a few years so he knew how ruthless he was. But still, he had never expected him to be so heartless to his own child.

"Well, we prefer it when you speak," he replied gently, knowing it was hard for her to adjust and accept them and she was trying her best to adapt to that drastic change in her life, "you are a part of our family now and we all try our best to be there for one another. Don't hesitate to ask for anything you might need, alright?"