「 ✦ 𝗟𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀! 𝗖𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗿𝗮! 𝗕𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗸𝗱𝗼𝘄𝗻? ✦ 」

It's been a good six months into the announcement of your new role in your newest series; 'Transcending Beyond', and you were already starting to feel the effects of the media. While the show had obscene amounts of hype for its adult-comedy themes, undertones of drama, and relatable topics such as growing up black in America, people weren't very thrilled to hear about the role you'd landed. You were set to play the main protagonist's older sister, Yvette. A character depicted to be a 17-year-old sleazy, out-of-control, and ill-mannered young woman. Being primarily known for your supporting role in a tweens show in your earlier years, not too many were thrilled with the idea of you branching out slowly away from your roots. People say things such as "No matter how old she gets, she will always be a baby in my eyes." and "Damn, I swore she was just 7 yesterday!" You were tired.

Tired of being perceived as this small baby. I mean, what the hell? Receiving backlash because of a role that was GIVEN to you is insane, can't y'all mind your own fucking business? The thought of being frozen in time stuck in everyone's eyes as just that little girl who's known for saying 'Awwww shucks!' and your silly little one-liners...god...I JUST WANT A FUCKING-

"Hello?? Earth to Y/N? Girl I know you hear me." The paper-thin veil that guarded you from your thoughts and the real world was now ripped, cut open by the scissors of your best friend, Angel's voice. "You been spaced out since we got to the film location...you sure you aight?" She sighed, gently rubbing your shoulder. It was like she could see all that swam behind your eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine...I'm just thinking about somethin'" You muttered, slightly embarrassed that you were caught knee-deep in the ocean of worry that is your mind. Angel offered a small sympathetic frown, pulling you by your shoulder into a tight squeeze. "I know my love, I know they gettin' to you. I promise you you're your person, and what niggas know you by or know you from doesn't determine your worth. I know how traumatizing that set was for you." She empathized, smoothing the top of your scalp to softly correct any frizz from the silky black lace you were wearing for Yvette.

Many don't understand just how much being known by that one role affects you, because it's something you'll never elaborate on. Being a child actress was hard, but the amount of exploitation that came with it was hellish. You were brutally manipulated, forced into heavy diets, and subjected to inappropriate remarks and harassment from some of the important people working behind the scenes, threatening to get you fired from your very first set at such a young age. Sure, your family was there and present, but you were thrown face-first into the concept of fame, and what it meant to be a star. Nobody really focused on your well-being, because 'fuck that shit, we here to make money.' Many don't realize it, but never being seen beyond the worst version of yourself hurts. It does.

"I know Angie it's just," you begin, looking up to avoid unleashing the tears that panged at your eyes in a silent threat. "I just wanted so badly to prove that I can do this without feeling like I need someone else to do a good job. That I'm still someone without them, without any of them." you squeaked, voice beginning to get higher subconsciously. And there it was, you've felt it numerous times before, but there it was again. The pressure in your throat making it hard to breathe without pain, that inaudible alarm sounding off in your mind, telling you to make your next move. The somber song of a baby that just wants her mom to acknowledge her hurt just one time, you know it all too well. As if on cue, the self-harbored tears in your eyes begin their descent down your face, traveling down their memorized path.

"I know baby, come on. Let's go for a lil walk. I still can't believe you moved to New York and haven't done shit yet." Angel teased, attempting to lighten the mood in any way possible. "Gigi, I still...I still have to film.." you laugh weakly, swatting her hand playfully in the process. "Yea, girl I know! Duh! But you're literally not gonna be doing anything for the next two hours. Just walk with me, mama." She states, rolling her eyes and sucking her teeth playfully, giving you that dumb ole "I know you fuckin' lyin'" look. You begin to walk outside, taking in a shaky breath of fresh air. "Yo can we stop at the bodega by my new school real quick? I'm finna go get some chips and a chop cheese," you state as you begin taking out your phone, scrolling on your timeline before opening your Instagram camera and angling the photo up to capture both you and Angel in the photo.