「 ✦ 𝗖𝗼𝗽𝗶𝗲𝗱 𝗖𝗼𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗲 ✦ 」

As August came to its close, I began to prepare myself for the first day of school. It was currently 6 in the morning, and I was taking an everything shower in boiling hot water. I took my time as I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and picked my first-day-of-school outfit. I had to look clean on the first day, cuz that was just an unspoken rule. I put on a fitted graphic tee, distressed light blue jeans, and my panda dunks.

   I texted Miles to let him know that I'd be by his house in around 20 minutes, ducking into the driver's seat of my car

   I texted Miles to let him know that I'd be by his house in around 20 minutes, ducking into the driver's seat of my car. I recently got a new pink cover for my steering wheel, taking a brief moment to admire how the leather felt under my hands that went perfectly with the ivory seats of my car.  My body felt heavy and drowsy as I drove towards Miles's house, sipping coffee from my Jasper bottle to combat the drowsiness. I preferred to listen to quieter music in the morning as I let the low hum of 'Limerence' By Yves Tumor fill my ears as the patter of rain hit my windshield. It always felt so gloomy and dark in the morning, especially now that Angel hadn't been occupying my front seat.

   While waiting at a red light, I feel that first-day-of-school misery take hold of me as I zone out slightly. I was officially a junior, which was labeled the hardest year I'll ever experience in high school. To say I was nervous was an understatement, especially being at a new school. I took a series of deep breaths to calm my nerves as I chose to focus on the literal road ahead of the mental one.

   I clicked on Miles's contact on the screen of my radio, covering my ears and quickly lowering the volume as the ringtone sounds off in my car. He picks up and I hear some slight scuffling before his familiar, but slightly low voice answers with "You outside?"

   I sigh as I lean my head on the wheel, fighting off sleep in real-time. "Yeah, c'mon. You already know we don't do no work on the first day, so I wanna take a nap when I get to my first class."

   "You right. Aight, I'm comin' out now."

   He speeds out of his front door, holding his hoodie over his head to avoid getting his hair wet. He swings open the passenger side door, sitting down on the seat with both hands crossed over his chest, head leaned back to the heavens with his eyes closed. He was clearly tired as hell, which made sense given the amount of time he spent doing patrols. He had recently acclimated to a new schedule of both morning and night patrols, ranging from 7 AM to 7 PM, and 11 PM to 2 AM. Barbaric, I know.

   I offer him some of the coffee I had in my bottle, to which he politely declines because he "hates how bitter coffee is."

   "Bambs, coffee should not be bitter what the fuck are you drinking?"

  "Whatchu mean? When my dad makes it it's always so...tart." 

   "What does he put in his coffee?"

   "You can put things in coffee? What goes in coffee?"

   "HELLO!? SUGAR? MILK? SYRUP?" I half shout with wide eyes, realizing that he had been drinking that bitter ass sludge that is black coffee all his life. I give him the bottle, urging him to take a sip as I weave through traffic. He takes a small swig, living his lips as his eyes widen in shock. He begins guzzling down the coffee at impossible speeds, hands firmly wrapped around the thin top of the bottle. "Nigga, DAMN! I still need to stay awake for this drive!" I exclaim as I snatch the sage-green bottle, shaking it to hear only the ghost of a few drops of caffeine. I take a deep ass sigh, regretting my previous decision as I smile.