It Doesn't Help That We're Soulmates

Soul marks are something you get at birth. They usually took the shape of their soulmate's respective personality or experiences, something their special person will be able to recognize upon seeing it. Once upon a time, people may have seen soul marks as something to celebrate, or for others to sneer at simply because they didn't have one of their own.

But nowadays, having a soulmate was considered a curse in it's own right. Mothers have wept for their children upon seeing them, and fathers have cursed, knowing that their child would have to go through the pain of never knowing their fate bound partner.

In this world of rust, pollution and corruption had made hope of ever finding them impossible for a multitude of reasons.

1. You don't get to know what your own soul mark looks like. You'll recognize it upon seeing it, but considering the terrible circumstances of a polluted Earth, people aren't going outside without proper protection.

2. You have to share your own blood in order to know they're really your soulmate, and nowadays trying that could risk more than getting HIV or AIDS.

3. Soulmates are usually felt as warm, guiding hands from the future. Those with soulmates can go through their whole lives without ever feeling those hands.

The warm touches or guiding hands were only described in entertainment or in stories told by old-timers younger than their years. It was a telltale sign that soulmate or not, you'd never get to meet them in this life.

That was the case for Satoru Suzuki. Even worse so with the number of marks he has.

During this time period, having no soulmate was common. Having more than one wasn't unheard of, either.

To have eight, though? That was pushing it.

Now, don't make any assumptions: despite all the romance flicks depicting soulmates as lovers, it was more in a platonic sense in real life. People have gone on dates with their soulmate, if only just to try it out, but most have never went far and ended in a mutual agreement to stay friends.

Not that Satoru would ever get to ask.

He's just a guy in his twenties, who despite having eight soul marks, has never felt a warm, guiding touch in his life.

But hey, he has his friends, and Ainz Ooal Gown! Videogame or not, they were the closest thing he had to real friends.

-----

"... fuck." Momonga cursed under his breath.

Forlornly, he stared at his soul marks, all in the same place as they were when he was still Satoru Suzuki.

(And all of them were still in the Real World.)

If there was some higher being or power out there, they better be getting a real kick out of this.

In short: Momonga (Satoru Suzuki) has eight soulmates! That... doesn't really help him when he finds himself in New World, though.