Chapter 2 - Laera

My stomach was feeling a little bit weird this morning. Regretting that toasted jalapeño and pepper jack cheese bagel I'd opted for; I turned slightly in the chair hoping to find relief in a change of position.

Nope. Didn't work.

And when my eyes came to rest on the latest issue of People magazine my stomach did an entire summersault. There, on the cover, was Liam King. Those startling blue eyes and that 'yes I know I'm hot but unattainable' expression he displayed were enough to ruin anyone's day. I would know. I nearly ruined myself because of that man.

The day I left him behind, I couldn't think of anything except running away. And I wasn't just running away from Liam, I'd left an entire world of hurt behind as my legs carried me further and further. I remembered how it felt to flee with my chest burning from the sheer exertion of it all. I'd suffered some small cuts and nearly twisted my ankle badly as I made my way past the tree line and the thick brush.

I'd been held captive, got into a car wreck and been kidnapped by some lunatic women with designs on Liam, and yet, there was a moment when I'd actually considered turning back. But thankfully, I'd listened to the better part of me and kept running.

And I'd been on the move for weeks thereafter until I'd finally ended up at an entirely different coastline to ensure the distance between us.

And that was approximately two months ago.

Changing my appearance, I'd cut off all my hair and dyed it a dark color. With the weather change, I'd been able to camouflage myself underneath baggier clothes and hats pulled almost to my eyelids.

My transformation wouldn't have been complete without a completely new identity, so I reached back to someone from my past to help me choreograph a way to ensure that anyone looking for me would end up in a dead end. My guy could weave a deceptive web to confuse even the most adept hackers.

Laera Wood or Thompson was a ghost.

"Ms. Lane? We're ready for you now."

I rose from my seat and followed the woman in the pink blouse and pant suit to a conference room.

Ordinarily, I would've just gotten another waitressing job, but accepting the advice of my connect who created my new identity, I looked for the unexpected when hunting down another job.

Staying nearby, I'd walked past this medical complex a few times. And while grabbing coffee one morning, I overheard a woman encouraging another customer to apply for a position at the dental office next door. They needed a new hire, no experience required, and it was immediately available.

I'd been set up with a resume and references as a favor with my new identification, so I tested it out by submitting my application for the position. I wasn't surprised when I received a call a day later. My guy was good.

"So, thank you so much for coming in today. Your resume really stood out to us. It's not every day that you get an application with the caliber of references that you've provided." Ms. Pink Pants started.

She was shorter than me by at least five inches but tried to compensate by wearing ridiculously high heels for an office environment. And even though, she was extremely prim and proper, wearing pink from head to toe, literally, she gave off a certain warmth that made one feel comfortable in her presence.

"Thank you for interviewing me."

"Of course. We hadn't even really posted the position yet, so you're getting a real jump on the competition." She exclaimed.

I smiled while reaching for the glass of water before me. But as soon as the cool liquid hit the back of my throat, I realized what a mistake I'd just made. The feeling of nauseousness overwhelmed me so badly that I stood up out of my seat.