Chapter 19 - Liam

"You need to go speak with her."

"Argghhh...Sam, I know this. I just keep fucking everything up. We make progress and move a few steps forward, and then I do something stupid, and we're right back to square one again," I was trying not to let my voice carry as I stared at the bedroom door that Laera had closed and locked behind her not too long before.

"What would make you think you didn't have to ask her first? I mean, I've known you for a very long time, and even I'm confused," Sam said as she grabbed a mini vodka bottle from the bar.

I watched as she poured the contents into one of the crystal glasses and completely ignored the ice bucket.

"Don't you think it's a little early?"

"This isn't for me," she laughed."It's for you. I only thought you were half joking when you told me about this mystery woman you'd fallen for. But now I see that every crazy thing you relayed to me in your letters was actually the truth. You've lost your mind completely over her," she said, continuing to pour.

I was listening to her but also trying to focus on my next steps. Sam's revelation didn't feel accusatory, even as she tried to control herself from laughing out loud.

"Wow, I never thought I'd see the day," she paused as she took a sip of the drink before absentmindedly holding it out to me.

I took it and threw the cool liquid down my throat immediately. The burn as it seared its way down into my stomach was just enough punishment. I held the glass tightly as I pulled my free hand through my hair, pulling it tightly at the root.

"Ahh...so, any suggestions?" I was fronting. I wasn't planning on taking any advice from anyone when it came to my relationship with the mother of my child, but if there was anyone that I'd at least listen to in part, it would be Sam.

Sam was the Naomi before there was a Naomi and handled everything media-related for my father. She'd worked for him years ago as his right hand and had a rumored relationship with him, although she'd never confirm nor deny this. They'd been close enough for the rumor mill to get going, though, and she'd always had a soft spot for me as the heir apparent and unyielding focus of my tyrannical father.

When my mother passed away, she was the only female mother-type figure in my life left. Because of her influence, I didn't spiral the way Kolton, my younger brother, had into substance abuse. I was too wound up and private to consider therapy or spilling my guts in front of anyone, but Sam was a different story. She provided me with a trustworthy outlet. I genuinely believe that our old-school letter-writing kept me sane.

Sam was already shaking her head once again, and I could tell from the rise and fall of her shoulders that she was also trying to contain her laughter.

Great. This was just what I needed. But I deserved this.

"I'm glad that I could amuse you," I said, finishing off my drink and passing her on the way back to the mini bar for another.

Amid my search for something stronger, I heard her finally catch enough of her breath to talk to me.

"Now, you know that isn't the solution to anything. I just offered you one to take the edge off. At the end of the day, Liam, you've got to talk to this woman. From what you've told me, you have some intense feelings for her, and when she walked out in that dress, she didn't seem like someone who wanted to run away from you. But why did you introduce me as a wedding officiant? I thought we were meeting so I could help her navigate this new world of press and media with you,"

I simply shrugged.

Two birds, one stone.

"I would've asked you to do it anyway. This media attention is about to ratchet up to def con level once we head back to North America, so I wanted to make sure she was secure about everything, like how I feel and what type of family unit I want to have with her," I said.