Chapter 29 - Laera and Liam

Liam

"Oh fuck," I shout as I instinctively throw my arm around Laera to protect her while trying to navigate the vehicle away from the laneway that the passenger side is on. It takes me just a few moments to gather enough of my senses to assess that there may be a continuing threat coming from the passenger side.

The force with which Laera throws herself up against me, coupled with me grasping her even tighter, drives me to careen the vehicle up against the concrete step barrier that divides the motorway. And now I'm shielding us both from the sparks that envelop just outside of my car window as the sounds of scraping steel fill the interior of the car.

I'm desperate to keep the car moving, but there's the barrier and motorway traffic to consider. So, even though my instincts are to get us off this very busy road, I have to pull the vehicle to a stop to see if Laera is injured and properly determine what the fuck just happened.

I should've gone with my first mind.

As soon as I hit the brakes, the car lurches forward from the impact of another car ramming into us from behind. I can hear Laera still screaming, so at least I know that she's still beside me.

The rearview is twisted upward and doesn't give me enough of a view as to what is going on, so I turn as far as possible in the driver's seat and immediately see that we're in the midst of a pile up of cars. My security detail is still out of sight.

"Dammit!" How did we get so far out ahead of them?

"Liam, what, wha...?"

"Shhhh, don't move around too much. I've got you." We're both still strapped in our respective seats, so my first action is to unbuckle her seatbelt so that I can check her over, but I want to be careful not to move her around too much in case there are injuries that I can't see.

There was no way for me to move out of my own door that was wedged up against the concrete barrier.

Laera is covered in shattered glass and I am busily trying to keep as much of her behind the dashboard and away from the windshield as possible. I can't tell what the hell is going on, but if it's not finished, I don't want any more glass and debris falling on top of her.

My quick overview of her body doens't yield any cuts or blood on her person. I rest my hand over the top of hers on her belly as she continues to lean her head against me as such as she can.

I push whatever residual glass away from her body off her lap.

"The window, she...the window, she...," but I can't continue to listen to her exhaust herself.

"Shhhh, it'll keep. We're almost...," but in truth, I didn't know what we were 'almost'. Nothing made any sense, as I noticed that more and more people were getting out of their vehicles. Even some on the side of oncoming traffic.

"Liam, the seatbelt. Please get it off," Laera's crying and, I can hear the sirens in the distance. The sound is getting louder which, suggests to me that we're moments away from rescue.

But where are my men?

It's like we've been deserted. I'm able to sit up a little further and take stock of the scene in front of us, ignoring the way my right shoulder smarts after the impact from hitting the guardrails.

"Just a few more seconds, baby. Hang on for me, please," I whisper to Laera, and her whimpering begins to strip me apart layer by layer.

I'm going to kill Tabitha, Tabby, or whatever the fuck her name is.

Just as my thoughts wander to the dark recesses activated solely for the purposes of avenging Laera, I notice too late a figure beside my window.

Everything seems to be happening in slow motion, but in reality, there wasn't any time for me to react. There is a loud popping sound, like a gunshot and my window bursts into pieces on top of me. I reach out for Laera as I throw myself away from the raining glass, just as her door swings wide open.