Chapter 20 - Laera

Laera

I had my eyes shut so tightly that I almost missed it—the flutter, or rather the kick. My son was kicking me.

Our son.

"Dammit, Liam," I hissed at no one in particular.

Alone in the bedroom, I let my eyes roam around the room until my gaze came to rest on the bedroom door: the barrier between me and everything outside of this room. Somehow, my focus zeroed in on the area where the door hinges met the textured wallpaper. My eyes were glued to the space and my mind contemplated something so banal because it was unusual. I wasn't a design student or some décor expert, but there should've been something framing the door, right? I was sure it served some critical functions, like providing support and helping maintain the structure of the door. That way, there was no visible gap between the wall and the door. All doors had frames.

Didn't they?

And while I was contemplating the form and function of the door design, I could hear muffled voices from the other side.

Liam's voice was distinctive; although I couldn't make out exactly what he was saying, it sounded like he was trying to explain something.

But the response had been sharp and sure to his words.

What was her name again? Ah, yes, Samantha.

Samantha's voice carried in an authoritative way but still contained specks of softness within it.

She was clearly someone that Liam respected very much. I'd never heard anyone speak to him this way for any extended period, and he let her have the floor.

I wish I could hear what they were saying.

I couldn't have reacted differently when Liam introduced Samantha to me and mentioned that she was a wedding officiant.

I stormed out of the room without so much as a look in her direction. I'd reserved my most venomous look for him. How could he keep doing this? Why did he keep doing things like this? Didn't my opinion, wants, needs, or desires hold any sway in his world? Liam keeps creating his reality when it comes to me and then expects me to fit in without a second thought.

But now, it wasn't just me. There was a little one to think of, and he still didn't give any consideration to my condition, needs, or heart.

I was feeling drained and unappreciated.

Getting up, I went to the ensuite to run a face towel under the cold water tap.

Nothing was more refreshing than feeling that initial sharpness of placing that towel at the back of my neck.

"Mmmmmm..." I caught my reflection in the mirror.

Taking my time, I studied my face, hair, and the beautiful dress I was wearing that Liam had picked out.

My hands grazed the makeup cases I'd spread out on a towel earlier as I was getting ready. Everything had been exacted to my complexion and skin tone. I'd never worn foundation or some of the fancier creams I had pulled out of the bag, but I'd tested almost every one on the back of my hand, cheek, or neck. Perfect match. Almost as if they'd been curated, especially just for me.

The Clé de Peau line had carried over from the makeup on display to the bath products I'd used. Everything smelled divine and was complimentary. My skin felt like pure silk after I'd moisturized with everything.

I ran my hands up the sides of both of my arms, which had the effect of squeezing my cleavage together. The dress was stunning and a perfect fit. It looked like something I would wear normally, too, not some over-the-top designer number I couldn't afford in six lifetimes. Although, knowing who Liam is, I was sure there was a larger-than-life price tag for this appearance of simplicity.