Chapter 32 - Laera and Liam

Liam

I can feel myself going numb, but I'm still yelling into the receiver. Willing, hoping on anything, everything, that Laera can hear the words that I'm screaming at her.

"I'm coming for you, baby. Laera, I'm coming for you. Just hang on."

Marcus has texted a location to me and my driver.

We're already en route.

The GPS and driver yell almost simultaneously that it should be no more than nineteen minutes.

I'm counting down the seconds in my mind as I continue to say her name over and over again. The line is silent, but I can still hear a woman's voice over the speaker. It's frantic, and she is yelling orders of her own into a phone or perhaps at another person also in the room where my wife is.

There are some instructions that are being given in German, too. I know that it's Tabitha's voice, and I pray that she remains in one place so that I can mete out all that I need to on her as well.

"Don't move Laera. But say something to me, please. Let me know if you're okay. Laera?"

There's a flurry of commotion on the street before us. It looks like we might not make it on time after all in this traffic.

Where is everyone going?

But I catch the eye of my driver and he knows as well as I do that he's as good as dead if he doesn't adhere to the timeframe we've just rattled off a moment ago. Nothing is going to prevent me from getting to her, and no one.

There's heavy breathing on the line. I'm unsure if Tabitha could've wanted the phone call to remain live for as long as it has been going. She's more than a little smart and likely knew exactly when it needed to be cut off to ensure that any trackers could trace the call. But the phone has been live while she's been attending to whatever is going on with Laera. So she's been distracted.

Still nothing from Laera. I think the breathing is hers, but I can't be sure. I'm secretly hoping in the corners of my mind that it isn't because it doesn't sound good.

I want to break the phone. My eyes close and my lids press down so tightly like I never want to open them again. And if anything happens to Laera, I don't want to. I won't exist in a world where she is not present in it. She is my whole life.

There's a buzz signaling an incoming message. It's from Marcus. Good, he knew not to call just in case I was still on the phone with Laera. I would've never switched over anyway.

The text provides a new address.

"Sir.." the driver begins, but I silence him with one glare. He comes to the same conclusion I get to, about the information we've just received from Marcus. The address we're traveling to is wrong. Somehow, Tabitha had allowed us to triangulate her coordinates to a decoy address. She's not there. Which means Laera isn't there because I know she's with Laera.

Marcus wisely sent a link along with the address so with a quick flick of his wrist, my driver turns down the volume so that no one on the other end of this open call in my hand will know that we're chasing new coordinates.

"We should be there in twelve minutes sir." I look up and nod an understanding with my driver. We must keep up the ruse.

We're less than that away from the real location. I'm not surprised that the place is close to an airstrip as well.

Tabitha and her associates must have been planning to take Laera out of the country.

There's sweat pouring down the sides of my torso and I'm leaning against the back of the passenger seat. At the speed we're moving at, it would be more than wise to have my seatbelt on, but I want no restrictions when I reach my destination. And I want to be as close to the driver's seat as possible because it makes me feel as if I'm the one speeding down the motorway.