Chapter 21 - Laera and Liam

Laera

"Where are you taking me?" I was finally done staring at the sparkler on my ring finger. Or so I thought. Each time we passed a point on the street where the sunlight peaked between the buildings, the reflection from the diamond would nearly blind me.

We'd been in the back of the fancy two-toned Rolls Royce for the better part of half an hour, trying to navigate midday London traffic.

Beside me, Liam sat in his tailored blue suit with the top few buttons of his dress shirt undone.

When I raised my eyes to him, he took my hand with our fingers intertwined and pulled it up to meet his lips.

My God, this man was beautiful.

"You're never going to tell me, are you?"

He smiled and turned his eyes back toward the roadway before us. The divider had been raised for privacy, but it was see-through, at least from our side.

After riding for a few more moments in silence, I didn't think I would be able to take it anymore, so I turned fully in my seat until I was touching his thighs with my knees.

"This is just the beginning for us, you know that, right?" I could drown in those orbs.

"I would be more on side if I knew just what you had up your bespoke sleeve," I countered, knowing it wouldn't loosen up his tongue any further.

"I have a surprise for you," he added with a kiss placed softly on my lips.

"And if I tell you that I can't take any more of your surprises today?"

He laughed and then bit his bottom lip suggestively. "I deserve that. But I'm pretty confident about this one."

It was another twenty minutes before we pulled off a main road and into a corridor with visibly patched pavement and nothing but open fields on either side of us for as far as I could see.

This was getting interesting.

Liam hadn't released my hand, and as badly as I wanted to shift my focus to look out the window at the passing scenery, I knew that it wouldn't help me figure out where I was.

We finally stopped before a large, nondescript-looking building without any windows.

"Looks like a serial killer's hideaway," I joked, to which Liam just shook his head.

"Not quite," he said as he knocked on the divider, sending some signal to the driver. Then he unhooked my seatbelt and leaned into me until our lips nearly touched. "Do you trust me?"

I could see it in his eyes. There was a part of him that was afraid of the answer. I observed him as I leaned forward, connecting our lips softly and erasing any gap between us.

"I trust you," I said just above a whisper so that I was sure he'd heard me.

Then he pulled a piece of cloth from a storage area between us and motioned for me to turn around.

I did, without hesitation.

The blindfold securely fastened; he kissed me gently on my ear and then guided me carefully toward the passenger door on his side.

"I will guide you every step of the way. You don't have to worry, babe. Lean on me," he whispered into my ear. It tickled, and I couldn't help but giggle a little.

When was the last time I giggled?

When we finally stopped, I could tell by the sound of Liam's shoes on the floor that we were in a larger space due to his steps' echo.