Chapter 25 - Laera

"Laera, no."

But my eyes were already transfixed on the images populating the screen in front of me.

There were several police cars and a coroner's van in the background as a lone reporter attempted to conduct an interview with a policewoman dressed in what seemed to be more formal police attire.

In a split second, Liam was behind me, but I managed to escape the remote control from his grasp as he reached around my side to take hold of it.

"What is..." I let my voice trail off as I tried hard to hear what the reporter and the policewoman being interviewed were saying.

"...no suspects as yet, but we're also in the midst of an investigation, so such details will be released to the public if and when it is deemed appropriate. Until then, we can assure the surrounding neighbors and those in this community that this incident was isolated and that no one should feel a community threat as a result of this occurrence."

My mind was reeling as I heard the reporter challenge the officer's account regarding the public's safety.

"Laera, would you please just..." I overheard Liam saying to me as he moved to my other side to once again try and retrieve the remote from my hand.

This time, I wasn't as fast, and he managed to strip it away from me. I would've demanded that he give it back, but he'd already hid it behind his back as the television screen went black.

"Liam? I need to know what's going on. Do you know where that was all happening?" At that point, I had a mixture of thoughts running through my head about Liam's refusal to allow me to watch the report further. My newly minted husband was known to be a bit controlling, and I wouldn't put it past him to either want to control what information I was about to hear or keep me completely in the dark.

Not today.

Rather than standing around and waiting for an answer, I turned swiftly and began making my way toward the open bedroom door. I'd seek out answers for myself if I had to. I refused to be kept in the dark any longer.

Liam quickly positioned himself between me and the door but had the good sense to place his hands in the air, palms facing toward me.

"I know what you want to do, but let me explain something to you first."

I felt a heaviness in my bladder that told me I was going to make this conversation super quick. I was surprised that I even felt a thing, considering how much my conflicted feelings were swirling around me at the moment. But I'd give Liam King, my husband, a chance to rectify the first thought that popped into my head, in that he was trying to somehow hide something from me again.

I placed one hand on the decorative table beside the door to give myself a little reprieve.

Unfortunately, Liam caught the action and moved toward me swiftly, placing his hands on my hips.

"You need to sit down," he said and demanded all in one breath. I felt him pushing against me gently, trying to help me over toward the bed.

So, I planted my feet in response. "I'm not going anywhere except out that door to get some answers unless you have something you want to say to me."

If it had been anyone else but me, they probably wouldn't have caught it, but I saw behind those beautiful eyes of his. He was debating on whether or not to tell me something. Probably the truth, parts of it, or a variation of something. But it wasn't reflexive of him to simply make the disclosure. But I could also see that the look was a brief one and that it hadn't taken root. Because as he blinked several times without removing his focus from my face, I could see the transformation in him. That's why I love this man.